Increase arm speed + increase pitch speed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD is 13 and is 5'2 tall. She is currently throwing 50-52mph. During our tryouts we spoke to a few coaches that are all looking for the next "flame thrower" for their team. While this isn't something new, it did get me thinking of ways to help my DD increase her pitching speed. She has great control of her Fast, Screw, Curve and Change-up pitches.

I am not looking for the "magic pill" or anything like that. I know that pitching speed is created by hard work with hours and hours utilizing the proper technique and arm speed among other factors. What I am looking for is what drills/devices can I incorporate into our program to increase her speed? 14 inch balls? Weighted balls? Pitching further distances? etc...

Jul 26, 2010
That is the nominal average "good" speed for her age. Having recently returned from 14u ASA nationals, I can tell you that there were very few "flamethrowers" this year as compared to last years. At the USSSA "world series", there were even less. Strangely, it seemed many teams carried pitchers were not shorter then 5'8". So, you could say that your daughter is ahead of the curve due to the speed she's throwing at compared to her height.

You'll need to throw at least 3mph over the average to be considered faster then the norm. It can take 6mo to a year of working on good mechanics to gain 3mph, at which point she'll be 14, and the average speed for her age will have increased by 3mph or so, meaning she'll maintain the curve.

There are some kids who simply have more twitch muscle fibers and their arm moves faster. For the rest of kids, they're just going to have to work on it.

Strength training at that age is recommended. If all you do is long toss, then she could develop muscular imbalances with spine issues and back pain. Consult a youth trainer for a good training program and continue to have her pitching instructor work on her mechanics. Use video analysis to spot the flaws in her motion, and address them one at a time.

-W

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
What I've read on the subject of increasing speed is that a 2-3 MPH increase per year is achievable (assuming no tremendous growth spurts). DD has picked up about 10 MPH between 1st year 12s and this season (1st yr 16s). Proper mechanics constantly emphasized by her PC, throwing at least 2-3 times a week using the proper mechanics, and her own desire to pitch after HS is what did it. She has also increased her muscle tone using an exercise ball regimen with increased cardio. Since it has worked so far, she'll continue as long as she still wants to pitch.

Jun 24, 2009
My DD is 13 and is 5'2 tall. She is currently throwing 50-52mph. During our tryouts we spoke to a few coaches that are all looking for the next "flame thrower" for their team. While this isn't something new, it did get me thinking of ways to help my DD increase her pitching speed. She has great control of her Fast, Screw, Curve and Change-up pitches.

I am not looking for the "magic pill" or anything like that. I know that pitching speed is created by hard work with hours and hours utilizing the proper technique and arm speed among other factors. What I am looking for is what drills/devices can I incorporate into our program to increase her speed? 14 inch balls? Weighted balls? Pitching further distances? etc...
I like long toss.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I like long toss, plus swimming and other activities that use the whole body. Leg strength is key, and you can get this by running steps. I am short, and I ran steps all the time. I was also a gymnast and used to walk on my hands, too! As you get older, you must weight train.

Long toss is great. However, you need tight spin, as well, because it is a fast curve, screw, rise and drop you need, not a fast fastball. For this, you need the ball on the stick.

Weighted balls are not recommended until around 16-18 having hit a plateau and make sure kid is fully grown. Only done as an off season 6-8 week program(can't recall but it is in Kempf's book) under supervision with also a lighter ball. (This heavier ball is not the 1 pound ball you hear about.)

Screwball, have you ever seen someone dramatically increase their speed by using weighted balls?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Screwball, I know that you have a lot of experience so I will state that if you haven't seen it then it probably doesn't happen (I am being sincere). I don't believe that a weighted ball can make you throw harder, for a number of reasons. I don't think it increases snap and torque and other things necessary to get the pitch going in there faster. A stronger arm, legs, core, fingers etc. will increase speed but you can't get all of that by throwing a heavier ball. And if Kempf supports it suggests to me that she needs some help with her approach to coaching pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi