I/R Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
DDs PC told me that DD is ready for her first movement pitch. She told me that it was going to be a screwball. In my never ending quest to stay one step ahead, I started experimenting and came across a quandary that my wee little brain cannot comprehend. The I/R hand position at the bottom of the circle seems to force the only screwball possibility to be caused by the fingers sliding off the inside of the ball (similar to a peel drop but on the inside of the ball). I can see how a "turn the doorknob" palm under curveball works nicely with the I/R hand position, but I do not see any way to "turn the knob" on a screwball without having the palm on top of the ball during the downswing.

so two questions:

1) is my understanding correct.
2) Assuming it is, then do you compromise the I/R and teach the palm on top for the screwball or go with the "side peel" that seems more natural with I/R.

I don't think there is anything wrong/right about either method, it is just that Jenny Finch described her screwball as a "peel" off the inside of the ball and Scarborough describes hers as a doorknob turn. Since they both use I/R in general I am wondering which way is easiest to learn, most effective, and has the least potential for screwing (no pun intended) up the mechanics of other pitches.

First comment is that a very high percentage of what people see as "screwing movement inward" is really just the inward thrown release angle. I would not put a ton of effort into the "turning the door knob" or as it is also affectionately know as the "hitch-hiker" move thinking that there will be a lot of movement created by spin......just never seen it. In actuality, when video'd this type of release action doesn't even occur until the ball is about 10 feet out of the hand.
The method Finch described would be more natural and probably give better results.....a ball that has inward thrown angle, drops, and has a very slight inward "slide".

The very simplest and probably most effective method to throw a screwball is to get the proper step out/landing left of the powerline (RHP)....allow the push foot toe drag to move naturally to set up a new powerline-----see pic. Then simply throw your dropball/fastball action low or throw your riseball action down the new powerline. Especially for kids just starting the screwball, keep it simple. Be careful with the amount of step out...don't want to go so far as to create a real unbalanced condition. This pic is probably an extreme but gives you an idea of what you should attempt to do.

Screwball New Powerline.jpg

DDs PC told me that DD is ready for her first movement pitch. She told me that it was going to be a screwball. In my never ending quest to stay one step ahead, I started experimenting and came across a quandary that my wee little brain cannot comprehend. The I/R hand position at the bottom of the circle seems to force the only screwball possibility to be caused by the fingers sliding off the inside of the ball (similar to a peel drop but on the inside of the ball). I can see how a "turn the doorknob" palm under curveball works nicely with the I/R hand position, but I do not see any way to "turn the knob" on a screwball without having the palm on top of the ball during the downswing.

so two questions:

1) is my understanding correct.
2) Assuming it is, then do you compromise the I/R and teach the palm on top for the screwball or go with the "side peel" that seems more natural with I/R.

I don't think there is anything wrong/right about either method, it is just that Jenny Finch described her screwball as a "peel" off the inside of the ball and Scarborough describes hers as a doorknob turn. Since they both use I/R in general I am wondering which way is easiest to learn, most effective, and has the least potential for screwing (no pun intended) up the mechanics of other pitches.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Thanks Rick. I actually question the wisdom of her going to a screwball before a drop because I see the up down change as a lot more effective but I want to give our PC latitude to do her thing. I think she is going this route because DDs natural spin is slightly screwball anyway she has something between a 1-7 or 2-8 spin on most pitches as is. She also tends to miss inside as is so I think our PC is just trying to control some of DDs natural tendencies. I'll talk to her at our next lesson to see what her thinking is. If she can turn her inside miss into a "screwball" even if it is just because it is on an inward trajectory but started outside then that will be better than the HBP it is now sometimes. Thanks again.

Jul 14, 2008
One question........Why does anyone even teach "screwball" vs. inshoot/cut drop or inside rise?..........

Nothin leaves the park faster then a quick bat on a flat screwball...........

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
hrmvme.gif

Off-center powerline

Attachments

• hrmvme.jpg
    hrmvme.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 75
I think BM poses a very good question here. A couple things I would added are: 1) if performed similar to how I described, a screwball is relatively easy to learn. It basically is a dropball action or a riseball action that includes a step out to set up a more pronounced inward thrown angle. 2) second thing is a WARNING....of all the various movement pitches, the screwball is the one that you should be most careful with relative to it's "step out" mechanics bleeding into every other pitch you throw. Is a good screwball effective in the women's game.....yes. Just be careful to not let it compromise your mechanics for all the other pitches.

One question........Why does anyone even teach "screwball" vs. inshoot/cut drop or inside rise?..........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013

My guess is that she is saying screwball but means cut drop. Every time DD throws one down and in, the PC compliments her so I think she is just going to try to increase this action more than a traditional screw. I will definitely be advocating for this because I agree with what you and Hillhouse have said about up/down vs side/side and also because I think it is a more natural fit for DDs natural spin. I'll know more tomorrow, I just wanted to make sure my understanding about I/R mechanics as it relates to a screwball were correct and I wasn't missing anything.

Feb 7, 2013
If she doesn't already have a drop ball, than that should be her first movement pitch IMO. After that. some PC's like a cutter for a right-handed pitcher using finger pressure only to make the ball move into a right handed batter. To me its the angle and location of the pitch that makes it effective vs. it actually having lots of movement. I personally would not waste a lot of time learning a screwball where you alter your mechanics a lot like jumping to the left and throwing to the right. I hope your PC is not advocating that?

Jul 26, 2010
Screwballs are taught because so many batters at the youth level do not know how to hit inside pitches or are hesitant to hit them, or even have trouble recognizing them and will jump out of the box. Jumping out of the box on a screwball is a sure called strike.

These pitches aren't as successful in the college game (at least not since the Mowatt lines were added) and of course they're not successful in the elite game, but most youth coaches aren't looking that far ahead.

-W

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
If she doesn't already have a drop ball, than that should be her first movement pitch IMO. After that. some PC's like a cutter for a right-handed pitcher using finger pressure only to make the ball move into a right handed batter. To me its the angle and location of the pitch that makes it effective vs. it actually having lots of movement. I personally would not waste a lot of time learning a screwball where you alter your mechanics a lot like jumping to the left and throwing to the right. I hope your PC is not advocating that?

not sure what her thinking is yet. I'll know more tomorrow. I am pretty sure she is looking for the down and in as the action she wants though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC