I just don't know why she just won't quit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2014
WI
It sounds like your daughter is dedicated, we went through a similar situation, long story short we left after the season was over and couldn't be happier. We had a similar situation where kids were picked up and played over my daughter, that's a key thing to know it's time to find another team. My advise would be to look for another team that needs players and get out before the season really takes off. If other kids that are getting playing time are already speaking about jumping ship that team has a coaching issue....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My daughter plays travel ball and sits the bench the entire time except maybe 2-3 innings in pool games and lucky to play 2 innings total in all the bracket games. Some tournaments she don't get to play at all.

I did not read all of the previous responses, but in our area there are different levels of TB teams. You should try to find a team where your DD is a better fit and hopefully she will develop into a player who can compete on one of the high level TB teams in the future. If she has a passion for softball I would also encourage you to work with her to develop her skills - work with her outside of her regular practices. "Bucket time" is great for bonding!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
are their some teams she can guest play with where she will get playing time? if so I would do that an see if one of them is a better fit.

Oct 8, 2014
I called the coach up and let him know that my daughter is quitting the team. I explained that she is not at the level that he is looking for and best of luck to the girls. My daughter is getting ready to start rec ball and maybe in the future she can guest play for some other teams that can use her...or you never know, in the future, she could go back to the team when she gets some more experience. The downfall is that I didn't tell her yet and I know she is going to be mad. She really like the team and says she wanted to earn playing time. I know that I have to break the news to her and that I do believe in her.

Feb 7, 2013
Pretty much, okay, I understand. It was a pleasant conversation. I believe it went well with the coach...

Disappointing that he couldn't give specifics on her strengths and areas she can work on for improvement even if it's for another team. These coaches spend a ton of time with these players and should give some constructive feedback.

I think you made the right decision even though it isn't easy. She will find the right team for her.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
From what you say it appears the coach didn't really want her on the team but didn't want to cut a player who is working hard. I would not have recommended leaving the team before finding another, but I was wrong and you were right. You did the best you could for her.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
As a coach and parent, I'm not sure I agree with the way you handled this. As a HS age player, I think your DD should speak to the coach (with you there for support) and let him know the reasons she is leaving the team. By calling him and telling him she is quitting, you have reinforced for him that your DD "was not that good and she quit on me", which, from your description, is the opposite of your DD. Yes, she will be mad, not at the coach who didn't play her, but at the mother who did not want to keep supporting her. I get that sometimes someone has to be the adult, set boundaries, and know when to say enough is enough, but to do this without her knowledge is more damaging (IMO). At least if you had found an alternative team with her, she would continue to feel supported.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut