I have a great kid!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
When I was a young lad maybe 6 or 7 I would bike over to the local grammar school where there was a ball field and one Saturday I rode over expecting to find friends my age wanting to play ball instead they were a group of high schools kids boys and girls playing a game of softball. Having no one else to play with I asked if I could play. They were mean to me called me names and told me to get off their field and years later I still remember that occurrence.

Forward about 53 years my 20 YO daughter is giving a pitching and hitting lesson to a 9 YO student at a softball complex owned by a mill across from government housing. She is about an hour or more late getting home from the lesson and when she gets home the worried dad, me, ask why she is late.

She tells me when they are about 30 minutes left in the lesson and they look up and see a small young girl coming from the houses dragging a bat and glove who comes up to them and ask if she can play. The student and DD spent the next hour playing ball with the young girl, until her mother comes and gets her and thanks them for taking the time to play with her.

I hope this young lady remembers this experience like I did mine only her experience was much better than mine.

Very proud of my DD and her student.

DD who started out to be a Veterinarian has changed major to be a high school math teacher and softball coach I bet that her students and ball players will be some lucky kids to have her as a teacher and coach JMO. :D

Oct 22, 2009
DD who started out to be a Veterinarian has changed major to be a high school math teacher and softball coach I bet that her students and ball players will be some lucky kids to have her as a teacher and coach JMO.

Mine caught the teaching bug too. She wanted to be a Crime Fighter! She never changed her major though, got her degree in Criminal Justice, then went on to teach (Government, social studies, history and economics) and coach.;)

Oct 19, 2009
Mine caught the teaching bug too. She wanted to be a Crime Fighter! She never changed her major though, got her degree in Criminal Justice, then went on to teach (Government, social studies, history and economics) and coach.;)

We have had 2 officers with degrees quit the force and begin teaching a law enforcement class at 2 of our local high schools.

Jun 18, 2013
Sometimes the simplest acts of kindness are all that are needed to make the biggest impacts in a young person's life. Your DD may never know how important that moment was to that little girl. Tell her that she sacrificed an hour of her time to give that little girl the greatest gift that a person can give another person. She showed her that people are compassionate and willing to invest in her and that she is worth spending time with. If more people were willing to show that level of compassion and kindness to other people when the opportunities presented themselves we would all be happier. I bet your DD couldn't stop smiling last night afterwards.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm sure you got to watch you DD grow up and do some amazing things on the field, but this has to make you as proud as any of them. She showed a little kid that someone cares about her and also gave her student a valuable lesson.

Jan 23, 2014
This brought a happy tear to my eye. I hope that if one of my kids is ever in that situation they act just like your DD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles