I didn't think I would see it in HS.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Gd I agree with you but we are always told as parents, dont interfere with the HC and or coaches in high school. Even done in a non threating manner, some HS coaches are so full of themselves they wont take it as a helpful observation but a knock and critizism on their wealth of softball knowlege.

Sometimes you have to use "coach psychology", very close to child psychology.

Sending a very short email will do wonders.

-----------------------------------------

"I found this interesting"

"Coach, what's your opinion on this"

"Ever seen someone use this"

Own The Zone Sports: The Original Pick-Proof Baseball & Softball Sign Software | Wristband Sign System

------------------------------------ Or my favorite bait.......

Own The Zone Sports: The Original Pick-Proof Baseball & Softball Sign Software | Wristband Sign System

I was thinking of using this for my TB team, but I'm not sure they could comprehend it like your HS team. What do you think?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
In baseball, we used to throw up and in (and occasionally hit a batter) if we thought signs are being stolen. A few of those can demotivate a coach if her kids are bailing out every time she is calling their name during the windup.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I did create one for each pitcher we have. I call 3 number sequence - XYZ.
X is Inside (1, 2, or 3)/Middle (4, 5, or 6)/Outside (7, 8, or 9)
Y is High (1 or 2)/Belt (3 or 4)/Knees (5 or 6)/Ankle (7 or 8)
Z is the specific pitch (FB=1, 2, or 3; CU=4, 5, or 6; Drop=7, 8, or 9).

I have a cheat sheet of a few different number combinations for each pitch and pitcher since they may throw and have command of different pitches. I'll call the first two innings or so, then let the catcher take over. In a month or two I won't call pitches at all (hopefully). It depends on the pitcher and the catcher that are in the game and how well they work together.

If you've got a kid with more than 10 pitches, you're screwed!

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My DD's coach has been accused of stealing signs numerous times . The reality is she has been coaching for a long time and played the game from a young age prior to that . Most coaches and pitchers have a pitch progression , based on the hitter they are facing , that is pretty easy to figure out . It really cheeses the coaches who use the wrist band system . DD's coach doesn't have a problem with other teams trying to steal our signals since like a lot of coaches she figures its just part of the game . I personally think the wrist band system is pretty cool since it makes letting the offense and defense know what's going on for sure a lot easier .

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I tell my girls on the bench to try and steal their signs all the time I, however, will not pass off the information if I happen to steal them. I want them to learn the game within the game on their own.

As for the OP, the HS coach should have changed up the signs.

Mar 26, 2013
The wristband thing is overkill for TB or HS. It really is hurting the rhythm of the game and the concentration of the players. This started at younger ages more because the kids don't listen or forget, not for picking.

In HS we had a pitcher looking at the wristband as part of her pitching motion. Wow, and it was not smooth and probably illegal. She only had three pitches, so can someone explain why she had to look at it every batter at least 3X and every inning until the end? Are the signals changing every inning? Plus we could still see the coach's signals and align them with pitches at the beginning. We just decided it was not worth our time.
I think it is up to each team to determine whether they help them or not - regardless of level. If hiding your signs is important, they are an easy and reliable way to do it.

Properly utilized, they shouldn't disrupt the rhythm of the game. I'm not a big fan of the pitchers wearing them for pitch calls. DD's travel team had no trouble using them for the first time last summer and neither did the HS baseball team 4 years ago. Both teams only had their catchers use them for pitches and the catcher used traditional signs to the rest of the players. Without them, coaches spent as much time signaling pitches to make it harder for the other team to pick them.

You apparently don't understand how they normally work. The wristbands have grids with numerous boxes for each pitch/location. If a pitcher only has 3 pitch/location combinations, the number of boxes for each should be proportional to the frequency it is called. Opponents can keep track of the pitch for each signal, but they're rarely going to be repeated and will be difficult to decode and relay in time to help the batter. Teams can also make changes during the game to eliminate any repetition of signals for a given pitch. The best schemes are set up so the changes also result in some previous signals translating to significantly different values instead of just creating new signals (e.g. signal for fastball becomes change-up and vice versa).

The Beverly Bandits 16U team only used them on offense when there was a runner on base in the PGF championship game last year.

Oct 18, 2009
IME when used properly it speeds up the game and almost eliminates missed signs for batters/defense. I also think it stops opposing coaches/players from trying to decipher signals. Its just too hard to if used correctly.

Is it overkill at some levels? definitely. but for those that feel they need it, its a pretty easy system to use and implement. It makes it easy for something like bringing a player up from JV to varsity or moving up to guest within age groups in travel orgs without having to go through the different signs with them. Makes it easy on the player and they just worry about executing instead of thinking... "was that the sign?"