I didn't think I would see it in HS.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I think it is "bush league" for adult coaches or parents to be stealing signs at youth ball games, but unfortunately it's going to happen if you don't have a good system. Using a wristband system pretty much eliminates any reason for the other team to even try stealing them any more, because if they do, they are more likely to guess wrong since it's a random placement of signs vs. using any kind of indicator, individual signals or even patterns. And no way in my mind should the pitcher wear one and mess up her rhythm. Most signs are stolen between the bench and the catcher, so the catcher just needs to "translate" the sign to the pitcher, just making sure to hide it between her legs and possibly use a decoy if someone is on 2B. If anyone has more questions on these kinds of systems or an interest in them, feel free to PM me.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think it is "bush league" for adult coaches or parents to be stealing signs at youth ball games

Remember these are adults stealing/decoding signs from other adults ( coaches ), not the young players on the field. The signal system is a valuable piece of your coaching "skills".

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Rise balls sometimes turn into screwgy-rises - this from a bucket dad. One or two screwgy-rises when the DIII reject screams out her batters name will discourage them from trying to anticipate pitches

Apr 25, 2010
DD's TB team uses the wristband system. With several different number combination for each pitch, it is not ea.sy to pick. If they do pick, just switch out to a different card. Or have more than one coach flashing numbers so the opposition doesn't know who is giving the actual signal. Switch what coach to watch every so often. If you are not using wristbands, have coach signal to catcher using touch sequences, with each touch being given a corresponding pitch/location number for the catcher to sign the pitcher.

Jul 26, 2010
You can't change other peoples behavior, but you can change your own. Did the coach and catcher learn and adjust from this experience, or did they just complain and whine about it?

-W

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Stealing signs... meh doesn't bother me at all at any age... do a better job at coaching your team. Hell look at Mike White from Oregon last year, he was yelling out what the pitch was.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Stealing signs... meh doesn't bother me at all at any age... do a better job at coaching your team. Hell look at Mike White from Oregon last year, he was yelling out what the pitch was.

Stealing signs is a double edged sword. If you do it then you better make something of it, otherwise you look like a fool. Most teams fail to do anything with the information. If I have a dominant pitcher I just call the pitches out loud and they will still probably fail. When they still wiff they are totally owned.

Dec 29, 2010

Wonder what would happened if u get a strong will fiery pitcher on the mound who throws gas, and hits i means slips and the pitch hits the batter where the armour is not protecting. And looks at the buffon who is yelling pitches out loud. Not saying mike white is a buffon, just at the lower levels who wanna be bigger than the players.

Dec 20, 2012
Outs plus one, minus the number in the order of the batting line up, plus the batter's jersey number, 4 wiggles is start over, 2 wiggles is add one, three wiggles is minus one. Got it? Works ehry tie.

-Domingo Ayala

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal