How to drive your hip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is what I was referring to. But I'm just a dad. Looked to me like her front side was fully straightened at an earlier time than Cano. I'll bow out and allow the experts to analyze. See ya...

2vki6hg.jpg
10momyw.jpg

The hip timing differences I'm seeing in comparing Cano's swing with my DD may be (IMO, YMMV) largely related to body structure differences between a full-grown professional male athlete and a lean flexible 10yo girl. If my DD's hip-hands timing matched Cano, I'm doubtful that there would be any resistance in the chain to get the hip pulling the hands.

Then again, my mediocre analysis skills might be an issue, too.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The hip timing differences I'm seeing in comparing Cano's swing with my DD may be (IMO, YMMV) largely related to body structure differences between a full-grown professional male athlete and a lean flexible 10yo girl. If my DD's hip-hands timing matched Cano, I'm doubtful that there would be any resistance in the chain to get the hip pulling the hands.

Then again, my mediocre analysis skills might be an issue, too.

I agree that there are anatomical differences that will lead to differences in mechanics. In fact, I would go as far as stating there could be differences between two 10 year girls that could affect mechanics.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree that there are anatomical differences that will lead to differences in mechanics. In fact, I would go as far as stating there could be differences between two 10 year girls that could affect mechanics.

Agreed. In my experiences, 10yo girls range from wooden doll to Gumby.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Can you see how Lexie Elkins rear leg is turning forward and pulling rear hip forward as her hands are tight to her rear shoulder and the top of the bat is going backwards? She gets separation and stretch between her rear shoulder and upper torso that is resisting going forward and her (some call) "hip drive" that is driving forward. So in simple talk: hands are back, hips driving.

You are, like a majority of young hitters, are probably swinging at the ball with you arms. Your arms are going forward and your hips are staying back.

The finish of Lexie: can you see how the "hip drive" is pulling/launching her hands and bat through the ball? Her strong leg muscles are turning forward and her strong core/back muscles are pulling back so when released the swing is sling shot by the "hip drive" your coach is talking about.
lexiehippulled_zps90b45981.gif

^her hands are coming from behind the rear hip.

We do some pre set drills to help kids feel what it is like.

what would say to coaches who say this redhot?

Montana State Billings Softball

Have heard three things to learn from in the OK and Bama game in the 6th. 1. Back foot should be driving forward for power and doesn't need to be on the ground (Chamberlin HR

did I miss the pre set drills somewhere? I could always use more.

snfFront_Torque_254211813_std.jpg

Oct 10, 2011
How about 'hit the ball with your back hip'.
This is a great thread so I'll bump it up.
So last night this statement was used in practice and they did the bat behind the hip drill, hitting a tossed ball. Any worth to that drill? I think I did it with DD years ago and I couldn't find any threads on it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Can you see how Lexie Elkins rear leg is turning forward and pulling rear hip forward as her hands are tight to her rear shoulder and the top of the bat is going backwards? She gets separation and stretch between her rear shoulder and upper torso that is resisting going forward and her (some call) "hip drive" that is driving forward. So in simple talk: hands are back, hips driving.

The finish of Lexie: can you see how the "hip drive" is pulling/launching her hands and bat through the ball? Her strong leg muscles are turning forward and her strong core/back muscles are pulling back so when released the swing is sling shot by the "hip drive"
So last night this statement was used in practice and they did the bat behind the hip drill, hitting a tossed ball.

I think it would be hard to duplicate the same swing movements/feeling as bolded above hitting a tossed ball.
I would put the bat in front at the hips and would hit/swing at a ball on a tee. This might give you the feel of the lower half.
I would look up Noontime drill that drill would be much better.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011

I think it would be hard to duplicate the same swing movements/feeling as bolded above hitting a tossed ball.
I would put the bat in front at the hips and would hit/swing at a ball on a tee. This might give you the feel of the lower half.
I would look up Noontime drill that drill would be much better.

My bad...they dropped the ball from above, so that would be closer to a tee.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Originally Posted by NoonTime

It doesn't get easier than this...

Here is the Allan Craig clip with some pauses thrown in. The first pause is the start of the "drill" see how the rear leg is already turning in and his upper is pulling back at that point. Start at the pause with those things happening. You should be able to launch at 50% effort (or something less than 100%) an essentially end at the second pause. Launch... from pause to pause. Apply the inward pressure and never let it go. Resist with everything above and never let it go.
ACraig_1Bview_launch.gif

Try it and feel it. I guarantee it is different than any swing mechanic you have tried, and certainly different than anything your words have describe thus far.

You've got balls don't you? Use em... apply the pressure to take your pocket to your junk and don't ever let it go. I don't care what you do with your stride. I don't care what you do with your elbow. I don't care what you do with your hands, I don't care what you do with your rear foot. Inward pressure with the leg, resist with everything above.... just like what is happening at the first pause. Create those opposing forces.. where they meet is in the rear hip... just try...learn to launch from there. Words words words... mean nothing until you try it and feel it.

Best of luck to you.
--NoonTime

Were you able to 'duplicate' this in that drill?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Just found this thread now and like you said iMlearning...it has a lot of valuable (and timely for us, advice). Thanks for bumping.

Oct 10, 2011
ACraig_1Bview_launch.gif

Were you able to 'duplicate' this in that drill?
That's a great post by Noon. Her coaches were working with her so I don't know what she felt at the time, but the first part before the pause is actually what we've been focusing on when I work with her. We've been mainly using Tewk's drill (can't remember what it's called).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207