How Strict is Your Travel Ball Team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
Our coach tried the lap thing once. I really enjoyed watching my DD pitch 6 innings and watch her team make her face 10+ extra batters due to mental errors and for the reward of staying positive and working hard to get thru the game she gets to run laps. Screw that. If you want to make the kids better make them work extra hard at next weeks practice and here is a revolutionary thought address the specific issue to the specific players so they can get better with confidence.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Well, with regards to the strictness mentioned here, I'm not (did that years ago). This go-round, I'm much more laid back. But, of course, we aren't chasing the softball scholarships. At least not directly.

There are different approaches to this. If the goal is top-end, along with that comes a higher degree of strictness. For a lot of players, maybe the majority, it's a bit over the top at times.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well, with regards to the strictness mentioned here, I'm not (did that years ago). This go-round, I'm much more laid back. But, of course, we aren't chasing the softball scholarships. At least not directly.

There are different approaches to this. If the goal is top-end, along with that comes a higher degree of strictness. For a lot of players, maybe the majority, it's a bit over the top at times.

We chase scholarships at some very intense programs and as such we have a high level of discipline. It is what the players and their parents sign on for and what they desire in a program. They know that what we do in our 18U program pales in comparison to what they will experience at the next level. There is a reason for the high attrition rate in the first year of college and we prepare our players accordingly. My DD witnessed a 33% attrition rate last year. As she said "They couldn't hack it physically or mentally. They were totally unprepared."

Rocketech1 - I think you found a great program. Let us know how she does.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Most players love to work hard! The harder the better! Nothing they won't do for the coaches! UNLESS, it's for punishment! Then you won't get much, long!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Most players love to work hard! The harder the better! Nothing they won't do for the coaches! UNLESS, it's for punishment! Then you won't get much, long!

Maybe, maybe not. We had an issue during the summer where we were looking at a very high number of called 3rd strikes. I explained the situation to the team and asked what they were going to do about it. The consensus was that they should run poles. After each game I was immediately asked "How many do we have, Coach?" I counted them up and they did them together. Instead of dogging out the transgressors they provided encouragement and the problem was resolved within a few weekends. Then again they did not view it as punishment. It was all about getting better.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There are many ways to motivate players IMO. A coach who earns their players' respect and trust will have players who willingly will try to run through a wall for them. Players motivated otherwise will be afraid to try to run through a wall because they fear the consequences of the inevitable failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC