High school discipline / travel ball repercussion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
"not good at school" isn't really a thing though. Yes, some people aren't great learners, and the system fails them, but a basic education is really important and you can't just hand wave "eh, learning isn't for them" especially when THAT would be abused, and in fact often is. This is why you get classes like "calculus for athletes" that's basically just attendance.

especially when there are so many situations at the higher levels of people getting rich off these kids, and it financially incentivizes _them_ to push the kid more towards sports than school.

If anything, there should be more _casual_ sport. Let kids play softball for a few hours as an outlet, as an escape, as FUN. Maybe more would stick with it, even if they weren't aggressively climbing the ranking leaderboards or whatever.

The problem with decoupling sports from school is that there's even less protection from a travel coach grinding the player to dust in the pursuit of winning or fame or whatever.

I don't think in most cases a coach outside school should be trying to inflict punishment for something he wasn't privy to in school, but I find it hard to believe a kid getting into a fight in school isn't exhibiting problematic behavior outside it too.

Jan 20, 2023
. This is why you get classes like "calculus for athletes" that's basically just attendance.

I took an As for athletes class in college. It was human nutrition and performance.

If I’m honest it was probably the most useful course I took in college for my life wellness and many people would been better off in life if they had gotten a chance to take it.

I also took differential equations (there were no special sections of that) but I use the nutrition info a lot more in my day to day.

Jun 8, 2016
I took an As for athletes class in college. It was human nutrition and performance.

If I’m honest it was probably the most useful course I took in college for my life wellness and many people would been better off in life if they had gotten a chance to take it.

I also took differential equations (there were no special sections of that) but I use the nutrition info a lot more in my day to day.
In reality any classes you take in college which teach you how to think are useful. That said even if you are an Engineer working in industry (I am assuming you were an Engineering major..or a math major but you would probably have used a different example if you were 😉) the specific material you learn in courses is used rarely in most cases especially if you work for a company that has been around for a while..

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023

Sure, arguably you should take that stuff in junior high. (there were definitely lessons on this stuff throughout school.) There's definitely a Nutrition 201 thing that could expand on that, especially for athletes, though to really understand it you'd have to have some biology pre-reqs.

In reality any classes you take in college which teach you how to think are useful. That said even if you are an Engineer working in industry (I am assuming you were an Engineering major..or a math major but you would probably have used a different example if you were 😉) the specific material you learn in courses is used rarely in most cases.

College is mainly to to learn how to think, where to think, and networking. I don't use most of the specifics I learned in college, but it certainly made all the learning I've done since much easier.

Arguably athletes do a lot of that stuff, sports specific, by playing and practicing, etc. There's a strong argument for not even bothering trying to officially make them "student-athletes" and just let them be athletes, but of course our society over-values the graduation papers. (and if they're purely athletes you can't pretend you're paying them with education)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
For discussion. What are the responses on this situation.

A softball player plays both high school ball and travel ball. Player ends up getting suspended from school 3 days and cannot play with softball team for 30 days.
( example for conversation, player got in trouble for fighting in school)

Question~ Should the travel ball coach also apply a discipline repercussion?
Suspended from games?
Maybe kicked off team?

Maybe it's two separate teams, two separate situations don't connect in any way? No travel team repercussion?

💥Chat it up dfp 🎉
Depends if she a pitcher or not.:D

May 13, 2023
Know there are College Programs including d1s that have mandatory Study Hall built into their schedules.

Does that offend the separation of school and softball group? Is that overstepping? After all they do have academic eligibility requirements throughout the year.

They also have assigned tutors to the teams to help the athletes. Is that overstepping or is that opportunity?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles