How long to develop a pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
2 years before she can pitch, 3 before she can call herself a pitcher.

Had the same thing happen with a slightly younger 14yo. Very athletic kid, quick longer, all the right "tools" for being a pitcher (long whippy limbs, long fingers, ect) She's on her second year of pitching now at 15, and she's still struggling, she's either on or she's off. The problem is that because she's such an athletic kid, the coaches see "potential" and expect way to much from her despite her actual limited pitching experience.

The coaches won't care that she's only pitching a year or two, they only care about results.

My suggestion to her would be "do what you want to do, but don't tell anyone about what you're doing until you feel that you are good enough to compete".

-W

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

She could call herself a pitcher, the minute she said she has a pitching coach. Its what the "team coach" calls her, when he is on his hands and knees mode. If he is on his last chance to hit the top 150.

Jul 21, 2008
Slugger, It sound like this girls is a top notch athlete, with a 60 mph overhand throw she has potential. If she is willing to work at pitching several days a week she can pitch. I think she could pitch high school game with a few months of practice. Granted she would not have movement pitches but she could pitch at HS level with no problem. With her arm strength = pitch speed she should be ok as a beginner pitcher in HS. Then with some work over the summer and off season she could work on change and movement pitches.

If she wants to put in the time ....I say give her a shot.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
There is a girl with an overhand throwing speed of 60 MPH. She is an excellent athlete, and has played softball for many years. She has scholarship offers from several major mid-west D1 schools. She is 16YOA. She is 6'0" with good foot speed.

From out of the blue, she now wants to pitch. How long will it take for her to become a "good" pitcher? Or is it too late?

My definition of a "good pitcher" involves many aspects of the position, not just whether she can learn one or two pitches in a short amount of time.

For example:, IMO a "good pitcher" becomes good by many of the following a) gaining invaluable experience by having pitched against top notch competition for many years (e.g. TB tournaments, all-stars, etc.); b) practicing her craft for 1000s of hours; c) having the mental and physcial toughness to continue on pitching when her body wants to quit; d) fielding her position having pitched in 100s of competitive games; e) pitching in all kinds of different weather and field conditions; f) understaning pitch count and working with different catchers, g) getting through the game when one of her pitches isn't working and having other pitch options; g) having the confidence to know she can get the job done because she has been in the same situation many times before, h) has a "killer" instinct and the desire and motivation to practice even when she doesn't feel like it.

The bottom-line is that the "intangibles" are what separate the average pitcher from the good pitcher. Any trained monkey can throw a softball underhand. Does not make them a successful pitcher. Hitting and pitching are the two most difficult things to do in fastpitch, let's not pretend its easier than it is. To quote a former PC, "if it were easy, everyone would be a pitcher".

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
My definition of a "good pitcher" involves many aspects of the position, not just whether she can learn one or two pitches in a short amount of time.

For example:, IMO a "good pitcher" becomes good by many of the following a) gaining invaluable experience by having pitched against top notch competition for many years (e.g. TB tournaments, all-stars, etc.); b) practicing her craft for 1000s of hours; c) having the mental and physcial toughness to continue on pitching when her body wants to quit; d) fielding her position having pitched in 100s of competitive games; e) pitching in all kinds of different weather and field conditions; f) understaning pitch count and working with different catchers, g) getting through the game when one of her pitches isn't working and having other pitch options; g) having the confidence to know she can get the job done because she has been in the same situation many times before, h) has a "killer" instinct and the desire and motivation to practice even when she doesn't feel like it.

The bottom-line is that the "intangibles" are what separate the average pitcher from the good pitcher. Any trained monkey can throw a softball underhand. Does not make them a successful pitcher. Hitting and pitching are the two most difficult things to do in fastpitch, let's not pretend its easier than it is. To quote a former PC, "if it were easy, everyone would be a pitcher".

I think you just said 4 yrs. = $7000-$12,000 dollars in (lessons...you didn't say)... I agree that would be a "good Pitcher" but probably already signed.

In context of the post, I know he can correct me if I'm wrong, Good = #2 on a Mid West D1. Our girl will take the place of the bad decision, or injured, or sanctioned #2, and hold off #3 & #4. She will already be there, because she has proven her time and effort, and love for the game. But fast tracked because of some pickle.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009

Had the same thing happen with a slightly younger 14yo. Very athletic kid, quick longer, all the right "tools" for being a pitcher (long whippy limbs, long fingers, ect) She's on her second year of pitching now at 15, and she's still struggling, she's either on or she's off. The problem is that because she's such an athletic kid, the coaches see "potential" and expect way to much from her despite her actual limited pitching experience.

The coaches won't care that she's only pitching a year or two, they only care about results.

My suggestion to her would be "do what you want to do, but don't tell anyone about what you're doing until you feel that you are good enough to compete".

-W

I trained one like this. She was 15. Strong athletic kid. Picked it up real quick. She had the same problems you are talking about, about her coach "expecting" her to be just like his #1 who had been pitching for years. She couldn't handle the pressure and he would pull her real quick and she had trouble finding pitching time. She had a choice to change teams and get more time, but she decided to give up pitching and stay on the team. She did end up getting a scholarship for 3rd base, and set some hitting records in her school.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
There is a girl with an overhand throwing speed of 60 MPH. She is an excellent athlete, and has played softball for many years. She has scholarship offers from several major mid-west D1 schools. She is 16YOA. She is 6'0" with good foot speed.

From out of the blue, she now wants to pitch. How long will it take for her to become a "good" pitcher? Or is it too late?

CoachKevin.... Would love to read your answer to this question from this poster. No fair reading my comments before you try to answer. :{))

Apr 13, 2010

-W
I was going to say 2 years as well. I think your answer is the most correct.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It's a question that cannot be answered. Why? Because each player is different. I have seen players go to a pitching coach for 5 years, and haven't gotten any better than when they were 10. But I have also seen a player decide that she wanted to pitch at 14. After less than a year of lessons she started for her HS.

Some are naturally talented and can pick it up quickly, but there are other great athletes that couldn't pitch from 20 feet. So bottom line would be try it and see where she stood.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm telling you, in just a few months' time, this guy has become the most entertainingly intriguing poster on this site. I read almost all his posts just to see what he'll come up with next.

Here's to the PerfectCircle!

(and no, I don't have a clue what he just said either, but it sure did make me laugh)

Sluggers - In answer to your question, I can imagine there are teams out there who'd give her a chance with an inning or two each weekend just to get the other assets she brings. As for how long it would take for her to be good, your guess is better than mine, but please let us know how it goes.

See CK, "the most entertainingly intriguing poster" awarded to me!!! I would just say the most optimistic !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball