How long to develop a pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Dang, I must have missed this thread and all the fun.

My 2 cents.

I could throw a fastball 91 in college overhand from the mound. But you sure wouldn't want me throwing a class higher than men's rec in fastpitch, and to be honest you probably wouldn't want me pitching underhand at all.

DD just turned 17 and pitches a hair over 60, but her overhand is low 50's.

My 3b girl who I've had since 10u throws 65 overhand. She just committed Monday to a smaller D1 as a fielder. She also would pitch every now and then but can only pitch about 50 at 16.

I'd have to agree with Kevin. Just because someone is athletic and can throw overhand hard, does not mean they are a candidate for learning to be a successful pitcher. It may look easy folks, but BB or FP, get out there with 100+ fans yelling.........pressure of the game......pressure of each pitch......base runners.......score.......count......teammates yelling........not everyone is cut out for pitching. It's as much or more mental, as it is physical.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
It's a question that cannot be answered. Why? Because each player is different. I have seen players go to a pitching coach for 5 years, and haven't gotten any better than when they were 10. But I have also seen a player decide that she wanted to pitch at 14. After less than a year of lessons she started for her HS.

Some are naturally talented and can pick it up quickly, but there are other great athletes that couldn't pitch from 20 feet. So bottom line would be try it and see where she stood.

Bottom line for me was... Mid west D1 school??? & Good... To me that meant #2. Sluggers, what ever happened to the girl ? Is she pitching ?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sluggers, what ever happened to the girl ? Is she pitching ?

She didn't follow through--I think it was dad's idea for her to become a pitcher. When push came to shove, she wasn't interested in putting in the time and effort into becoming a pitcher.

I'm not knocking the kid, she is a great kid and works hard at fielding and hitting. She just wasn't into pitching.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Never heard that one before. :rolleyes:

I figured that...thats why the answer had to be 30 day intervention, confined to a boot camp setting... Of course I would be working for the dad...think I had the closest to correct answer to get the job rolling...could never be done in the traditional way...She would have to learn the self correction mechanics, all the warm ups, and be in competition for the position. I still say it could be done. We might have to have her believe it was for a TV show, and when we were done, it could be...if you read my proposal I included movie rights. Still say I...me...PC could have done it !!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild