How long to develop a pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Love to get a bet on this one.... sanchosj...Glad someone else can see it... I've been watching D1 mid-western this year. $2000.00 & I'll put her up in a dorm on a campus, 30 days. Then bet the $2000 that she can beats out the #2 pitcher at my choice of the D1's where she has offers from...Umps being the a board of director's of the school, and a friendly with another team local to them, of my choosing... Winner takes all... Thats if she hasn't had too many lessons...... I get the movie rights also :{)

Please someone translate for me :eek:. . .

May 25, 2010
I'm telling you, in just a few months' time, this guy has become the most entertainingly intriguing poster on this site. I read almost all his posts just to see what he'll come up with next.

Here's to the PerfectCircle!

(and no, I don't have a clue what he just said either, but it sure did make me laugh)

Sluggers - In answer to your question, I can imagine there are teams out there who'd give her a chance with an inning or two each weekend just to get the other assets she brings. As for how long it would take for her to be good, your guess is better than mine, but please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Please someone translate for me . . .

Love to get a bet on this one.... sanchosj...Glad someone else can see it... I've been watching D1 mid-western this year. $2000.00 & I'll put her up in a dorm on a campus, 30 days. Then bet the $2000 that she can beat the #2 pitcher at my choice of the D1's where she has offers from...Umps being the a board of director's of the school, and a friendly with another team local to them, of my choosing... Winner takes all... That's if she hasn't had too many lessons...... I get the movie rights also...if you think I'm kidding, tweet Redford, and ask him why he wants to re-shoot "the Horse Whisper" :{)

There is a girl with an overhand throwing speed of 60 MPH. She is an excellent athlete, and has played softball for many years. She has scholarship offers from several major mid-west D1 schools. She is 16YOA. She is 6'0" with good foot speed.

From out of the blue, she now wants to pitch. How long will it take for her to become a "good" pitcher? Or is it too late?

Did you understand the OP question.... I think the answers should be MDY_____? $______ ? (timeframe & Cost) or..... its too late.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
I say go for it. You never know you might have a prodigy on your hands. Natural athletic ability coupled with a hardcore work ethic can work miracles. Also, keep in mind we're used to younger girls trying to learn how to pitch. An older girl makes for a shorter learning curve due to physical maturity and a better capabilty to understand what you are trying to explain to her. Six months of regular practice and she'll be capable.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It varies person to person, but if she is a good athlete and was willing to work hard I bet she could get to where she could throw strikes consistantly in 30-45 days. I would give her 6 months before she was ready to pitch competitive TB. In my years of coaching I have found that pitching is as much mental as it is physical, so even if she can throw overhand at 60+MPH there are NO GUARANTEES that she will become a great 60+ MPH pitcher! Great pitchers have very short memories and do not let bad outings or bad pitches bother them. I have seen pitchers with a lot of talent 'wash out' because the mental stress of being in the circle.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If anyone's got $2000 burning a hole in their pocket, the odds are better wagering it on the next mega-lottery drawing. Take a break from time traveling in a parallel universe and think about it rationally for just one minute. If you assume that MLBers are the cream of the BB crop, how come the Rockies can't just convert some young golden-armed stud to take the rotation spot of 99-year Jamie Moyer? And how do you explain Rick Ankiel having better control to home plate from CF than the pitcher's mound?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
<iframe width="150" height="100" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/L6KgQPAAVJk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You the translator ???.... well good job on this one.... right or wrong, it was done in one page. I reduced the size of your video so it don't take as much space...or broadban...

So you could do it as fast as it would take to pull the teeth of two teens. And at the same.... for the same price ?

Or "too Late" it would be like pulling teeth ?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah