Hitting into a Boxing Punching Bag: Good or Bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
My daughter used to be instructed into hitting into something rigid . Usually at her lessons inside they woujd tell her to swing into the heavy rubber backstop a few times to have strong point contact .. I like you always thought it should continue after the point of contact to be able to finish swing ! So my buddy and I made this this comes apart but the base that has wheels is over 100lbs for stability ! It height adjusts but it allows her to extend thru her swing .. we do however use wrist guards when she attacks it
In a few hundred years, some archaeologist is going to come across this, and spend the rest of their life trying to answer the simple question - "WT(H) is this?".

Feb 3, 2016
Never have liked that.

THERE is a point where injury should be considered.
Cant swing as hard as we should/can because its a fixed object. Or too heavy to move.
THERE is a point where mechanics can be hindered.
THERE is deffinetly different swing mechanics were the impact moment actually hinders what needs to occur right at impact barrel hitting through the ball.

If anything IT would be better to swing at weighted balls as driving barrell (or pulling for some) is extremely important.

Plus there are many drills that promote exploding to and threw the ball without hinderence of fixed overweighted bag.

*some people may like it.
I do not.
The reason I use the RTM club instead of a bat to do check swings on the bag. I don't recommend using a bat to hit a heavy bag either.
I'll just say our current hitting regime, and use of RTM club for our training significantly improved power and bat speed. A substantial measurable difference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The reason I use the RTM club instead of a bat to do check swings on the bag. I don't recommend using a bat to hit a heavy bag either.
I'll just say our current hitting regime, and use of RTM club for our training significantly improved power and bat speed. A substantial measurable difference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Was commenting on bat into stationary bag or heavy weighted bag.

Its possible any other training drills to produce those desired results would have helped also.
Like to train those same desired results that also include other important factors in our swing.
At the same time.

In any case good for you for finding a tool you like.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have a variation of this drill. I bought a canvas duffel bag and 4" foam rubber mattress. I rolled up the mattress and put it in the duffle bag. It's very light and easy to transport. The bag is now soft and bouncy, the bat will rebound unless it is held on the bag. It teaches them to keep their hands relaxed. I position the bag against a chain link fence, held on with 3 bungee cords that are angled in line the hitters shoulder planes for a high, middle and low pitch. They hit the bag with bat in line with the bungees, and freeze it on the cords, it teaches them tilt and swing plane. Bat, arms and shoulders should be aligned on plane. With the foam there is not much of an impact issue, they can hit the bag repeatedly. The hitters like slamming it.

Feb 25, 2020
I like Dan Gables quote "If it's important, do it everyday. If it's not, don't do it at all."(Olympic Gold Medal Wrestler).

Up to coach/player/parent to decide.

Personally I think it's not important. Am wondering how many tires are hanging at MLB/national/NCAA facilities.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles