Hillhouse gets props on ESPN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
BM, I think power in all sports is done across the body. Throwing overhand is one example, the arm finishes to opposite side after it whips during the delivery. Same as a tennis player during their serve. And dozens of other sports examples of how power is generated.

In clinics, my teaching of the arm going to opposite shoulder is an exaggeration. What I am looking for and I make sure I express feverishly at lessons is, I don't care if the hand finishes to the oppo shoulder. What I do care about is a complete and nasty whip of the elbow (or snap of elbow if you prefer). if done correctly, the arm will go across the body. MORE often than not, an exaggeration of bringing hand to the opposite shoulder is almost always used to rid a girl of her HE pitching style. Exaggeration is the only way to break that habit in some cases. I'm a big believer that the elbow whip is the key to additional spin and movement, and to achieve top speed. I think if you look at all the top pitchers, you'd see that nearly all of them whip across their bodies with the elbow. Some do it more than others but those who lead with their elbows on the downswing whip the ball at the release.

Out in CA, I don't know if you've ever seen ASA's Modified pitch game. There are 2 styles of Modified, 9 man and 10 man. 9 man modified is basically slingshot pitching, 2 feet on the rubber, etc. 10 man is where it gets interesting. 10 man modified, requires the pitcher to do nearly everything a fastpitch pitcher does to gain power with the body: no turning of the hips, ball must go around the hips, not through them, no turning the ball at 12:00 position, straight arm must be kept all the way through (which means no movement pitches aside from a knuckleball can be thrown), and no whipping the ball. Some call it "bowling style".

So, if whipping the elbow, is "wrong" then it wouldn't be banned from modified where pitchers are forced to do everything a FP pitcher does, or should do. That would include IR, getting the ball through the hips, etc. So, if anyone is looking for what makes a pitcher "throw faster" then all you have to do is look at what ASA modified pitchers do, or not allowed to do, and there you go... you'd have a pretty good start. LOL.

I doubt I'll be on much to check your answer or thoughts on what I said but I hope I accurately explained why I want the elbow to whip and how that leads to the arm going to the opposite side. PLUS... if we believe hello elbow to be wrong in all it's capacity, including finishing straight up and touching the shoulder, then the opposite must be true!!! LOL.

Bill

Jul 14, 2008
We are on the exact same page regarding throwing across the body, we just go about it differently, and obviously both are successful.

My video on adduction in the pitching motion explains my views on it and how I get students to understand the concept. Here is where I think your concept and mine differ regarding throwing across the body and through the hips, again understanding that I (we) are not standing next to you getting the whole story.

When I think of your method of throwing to the opposite shoulder across the body, I think of "right to left" (RH'r).

When I think of my concept, I think of "back to front" with the position/angle of the body during the last half of the pitch dictating whether that means across the body.

See I think that we are splitting hairs on this methodology, and both equal the same goal. RP's crossfire drill is another very excellent method of teaching adduction and throwing from back to front ACROSS THE BODY.

Ok,enough about it. I'm just glad you were able to deduce it's not me throwing jabs at you from time to time. Hope your health improves and your life normalizes sooner then later.

John.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Glad everything is settled. Seems to me to be very similar to the tech hitting forum, where everybody is in basic agreement about 95% of things and the major differences involve terminology and semantics and the best approach to achieve the goal.

Good thing that this little misunderstanding did not involve BH or BM being accused of teaching HE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi