Hillhouse gets props on ESPN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
John, first, my apologies. One of the last times I came onto this site, I read a thread about someone looking for a pitching coach in Dallas. It's a few pages back now and I just re-read the thread. I remember that you had replied in the thread but, I incorrectly associated you with the "attack" that went on me by someone named "Longshot". He/she made some very bitter remarks about how people need to worship at the "alter of Bill Hillhouse" and went onto say something to the effect of anyone saying nice things about me is on my payroll. I don't know who Longshot is, they choose to hide behind their keyboard and never email me personally with how, why and where I offended them. I incorrectly associated those comments as coming from you. I am terribly sorry for that. I didn't reply to the thread and decided to let it go. I think that is what Curious George was referring to because I am sure I mentioned to him at lessons what I had read and that I thought it came from you. Obviously CG didn't do his homework either. While I haven't been able to give lessons to his daughter lately, when I do we usually spend some time chit chatting about DFP and what the latest news from here is since I rarely come on. I specifically remember asking him if he read the message about Dallas and he telling me no, that he doesn't read the threads of people looking for coaches since he doesn't know of anyone outside of Ohio where he lives. So, he took me at MY word on what I thought I read. So, while CG owes you an apology, the entire thing is MY FAULT for confusing what was said from coming from you. I hope you will accept that apology.

I still want to know how and why you would ever get the impression I would say bad things about you personally. And, I don't think IR is "crap". But, I do think it's been way overblown. There is no question that bio-mechanically it is real, necessary for success, and contradicts the HE (which actually is crap!!!). My problem with IR is the amount of people I see that have done more damage than good trying to do it. Many many of them end up rolling the hand over the ball instead of letting the IR happen naturally and after the pitch is released. Now, I realize that is NOT what you are advocating and teaching. But that's what I see a great number of people doing. It's almost a mini version of a chicken wing, forcing the hand over instead of letting the IR do it. This is when I tell them to take the IR out of their brains for a few minutes. Lets pitch without forcing anything, no IR, no HE, and concentrate on whipping your elbow as hard as you can.... just as a baseball player whips his elbow when throwing a FB overhand. Low and behold, the elbow leads the way, the wrist snaps in following the elbow, and the fingers follow the wrist... bingo... IR has occurred. So, it's not IR I have trouble with. It's the forced motion this is incorrect and not actually IR. I hope that clears that up.

Going back to the Dallas thread, someone named DNeed said there are plenty of people that disagree with me (obviously he's not on my payroll either) but, when I read that I always wonder what it is. What does this guy disagree with, what is his frame of reference for disagreeing, and what evidence is there that "his method" will work in a game or work long term for a pitcher? I mean, I still very much consider myself a student of the game. And if Mr Need has a better way of doing something or can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd really like to know. I am NOT saying this with sarcasm, being snarky, or with an attitude. I try to teach pitching based off what I learned through trial and error during my career. While I never got a college scholarship for pitching, I still did pitch a more than a few games. So, I'd like to know what I should be doing. As Donnie Baker once said: I was offered a full ride scholarship to the University of Phoenix but, I had Tommy John surgery on both my knees and that ruined my career.

Again, my apologies John (Boardmember). It seems this was my fault and I own up to my mistakes.

Bill

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Can we suck java into this?

I am sure I do not say it enough but thank you.

No, we can't. ; )

Thank you.

This site is so "developed". Tried and true, and we all have absurd commonalities. Anyone that tries to create differences should really step back and reevaluate what they are trying to accomplish.

Java out.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Bill
"I harbor no hate for Bill or what he teaches. Anyone who contributes to the betterment of softball is OK with me. Like I said before I am not a pitching expert. I merely made a recommendation based on what I saw and my experiences and it obviously offended those that are on Bills payroll. I know several other pitching coaches in the area but unfortunately none of them have the initials B.H. so I dare not mention them here for fear of offending the masses."

Let me first state this is NOT an attack on you. I made a recommendation based on what I saw and even stated I was not a pitching expert. My recommendation so greatly offended some of your loyal followers that they resorted to name calling "Dr. Ruin Her" and suggesting that pitching lessons once a month with you was their best option. A simple "She doesn’t teach IR" would have sufficed. I do believe you are a very good pitching coach but I have a hard time believing you are the only pitching coach. You have some VERY loyal followers with VERY strong opinions. Please don’t take what I said as a personal attack. It was not directed at you but towards some of the toxic people who preach a “Bill or Bust” philosophy.
On a more personal note: I am sad to hear of your recent personal struggles and pray that everything works out for you. I am sure you are an awesome guy and wish you only the best.

Aug 21, 2008
You don't see how that can be considered a personal attack on me, saying "Bill's Payroll"?

The overwhelming majority of people on this board are "anything but Hello Elbow". Much like Democrats are "anyone but Trump" and the other side is "anyone but Hillary". So, if you accept that as fact, "anything but HE" then someone saying Bill once per month is what these people are saying (or what I read into it). I am not going to put words in anyone's mouth but "Bill or Bust" probably means anyone but someone teaching Hello Elbow.

All I'm saying is, there is probably a better way of finding out what was meant and WHY instead of calling people toxic or making it appear as an attack on me.

I freely admit it, I have thin skin. It doesn't take a ton to get at me, whether it's intended or not.

Bill

Apr 12, 2015
Going back to the Dallas thread, someone named DNeed said there are plenty of people that disagree with me (obviously he's not on my payroll either) but, when I read that I always wonder what it is. What does this guy disagree with, what is his frame of reference for disagreeing, and what evidence is there that "his method" will work in a game or work long term for a pitcher? I mean, I still very much consider myself a student of the game. And if Mr Need has a better way of doing something or can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd really like to know.

Woah now, Bill!

While I said there are plenty of people who disagree with what/how you instruct (and there are) I never said and didn't mean to imply I was one of them. That statement was nothing more than a reply to Longshot's comment "Never come to the pitching thread again until you worship at the altar of Bill Hillhouse." I was simply trying to point out there is no altar of Hillhouse and plenty of people have had disagreements with you. It seemed to me Longshot was attempting to dismiss out of hand support for Hillhouse instruction over Dr. Werner instruction because they was some sort of Hillhouse cult here. I was merely trying to point out that even Hillhouse had people who didn't agree with him so that idea was bunk. I did not mean it in any way as an attack on you and I am sorry if it read that way.

Just to put it out there, I personally greatly respect and admire your no nonsense, common sense approach to pitching and pitching instruction. Myself and especially my DD have benefited from your DVDs and videos online.

Feb 7, 2013
All I have to say is there are a few drive by posters (like Screwball, OILF, others) that will never "get it".

BH, Boardmember, Java, Pauly, keep up the good fight, most of us appreciate your contributions to this site and the game of softball. Please keep posting your wisdom and ignore the few haters out there.

Jul 14, 2008
Bill let me say thank you for the follow up post. My issues were never with you. As I said originally, tjey were with Curious George's completely out of the blue attacks on me, regarding you. He put words in my mouth I never said, and insinuated an attitude that I have about you that just doesn't exist. And frankly it pissed me off a bit because it is so off base about my respect for you. The only thing that you teach that I am adverse to is finishing up at the opposite shoulder because of this reason. Just like you dont like forced I/R for the reason you stated about the hand turning over the ball, I don't like a finish that is always high and to the left.

Now let me tell you about teaching I/R properly. If you follow my #1 guideline in all teachings about I/R, you read that I always tell people that the ball MUST SPIN SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT (RH'r) as the forearm pronates internally. If you follow that guideline you can never turn the hand "over" the ball and whip is the result.

Now I'm sure you have your reasons for hand to the oppo shoulder and it works because that isn't "the whole story" about the finish because we (me) aren't there with you for training "the rest of the story". And you see, that is the same as people coming to you having worked on I/R and turning the hand over the ball. You can't do that if you spin the ball slightly to the right and pronate.

This girl is doing exactly what I teach. Spin it to the right while pronating.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/26664-i-saw-my-facebook-feed.html#post369243

Anyway, just wanted to jump in and thank you for the follow up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi