Hillhouse gets props on ESPN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Just couldn't help yourself! Had to get that last little jab in.

That isn't a "jab" towards any PC, professional or otherwise. That was an acknowledgment for all the members who spend time here on DFP helping people learn the craft. It's one hell of a free resourse IMO. You may think otherwise.

The bottom line is my name shouldn't have been mentioned AT ALL, ESPECIALLY negative or otherwise, in a post meant to give Bill Hillhouse props for a mention on ESPN.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
My .02 cents having bought and watched every one of BH's pitching DVDs, reviewed all his online videos (e.g. Fastpitch TV) and read probably every post written by both Boardmembers and BH, my opinion is that they both can be arrogant and opinionated and I have no problem with it. BH has a simple approach to pitching mechanics that is easy to understand and had some great stories of pitching for Team USA. He also has a little bit of a attitude when it comes to the Pitching Coach Mafia (as he calls it). Lastly, he will be the first one to tell you that he doesn't understand all the technical biomechanics jargon and detail of arm whip mechanics but certainly knows how to pitch and instruct very well. I have learned a lot from him such as "work vertically not horizontally" and "every pitch should look the same as not to tip off the batter".

When it comes to Boardmember, he really is a student of the game and tries to really understand and teach all us who will listen, what good arm whip mechanics are and how to maximize your pitching mechanics for more efficient results. The first time I read his Internal Rotation thread it blew me away and his simple drill of demonstrating the pure speed of IR by asking us to hold your hand out, palm down and then rotating it palm up and back against really fast until it blurs was THE light bulb moment for me. Once you read and understand his view of pitching mechanics you can never go back to having your DD work with hello elbow instructors. He may kid BH about "elbow snap" mechanics but I believe he has a deep respect for BH, as we all do.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here's my theory - the tech hitting forum is slow, the IR v HE battle was declared a TKO long ago, there isn't a current "does a riseball really rise?" thread, and OILF thankfully departed the site for good some time ago, so what other hornets' nest is there to kick if someone was just looking to liven things up at DFP?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here's my theory - the tech hitting forum is slow, the IR v HE battle was declared a TKO long ago, there isn't a current "does a riseball really rise?" thread, and OILF thankfully departed the site for good some time ago, so what other hornets' nest is there to kick if someone was just looking to liven things up at DFP?

Excellent points. Now, we need some rivalry, conference or regional, from DFP dds and some smack talk. That will get us all going. Of course we could go for clashes on best looking but I have that one sealed down.
d5c006cc-0649-549c-a2d8-864b4dd9fd5e.preview-300.jpg

(Rich Bailey inventor of Billy Bob Teeth and a former student of mine.)

Aug 21, 2008
Wow.....this is really unfortunate. I'm not sure where this is coming from........

Nor am I sure what prompted this statement from CG either........

They both seem to be out of the blue attacks on me in an attempt start someone's fantasy war between Bill and I.

What bothers me the most about it is that I have nothing but respect for Bill and what he's given to the game of Fastpitch by committing his life to bettering the game across the country and beyond. I only committed to bettering the girls I've worked with directly, and the 10's of thousands of readers of this board. Hardly comparable in my opinion.

Now the thing that bothers me the most. The only thing I can surmise that prompted these comments about me is that Bill talks crap about me to his dedicated followers and they somehow think that means I do the same. That's the only thing I can think off that brought this about. Really too bad.

Regardless, all I can say is this thread is about kudos to Bill, and somehow the OP thought necessary to speak negatively about me in the opening post even though I've never had any negative interaction with the OP. You guys tell me what the motivation was for that.

It's a complete GAFF in my opinion. Bill deserved that mention on ESPN and probably more based on his life's dedication, regardless of whether it's his living or not. Bottom line is you couldn't pay me enough to do what he does day in and day out. But I will do it for free here anytime anyone asks me for help.

Congrats on the mention to Bill. A well deserved advertisement for your continued dedication to our sport.

On last thing about me posting here. I've posted over 1600 times here. Mostly with content that offers assistance to those seeking help. Since I began posting here, the education level of the members of this board has skyrocketed, sometimes because of my offerings, and often from many others as well. With that said, I read posts and the help offered to those posting, and am amazed at how knowledgeable our members are. I don't pile on with more of the same stuff others have already mentioned. It just muddys the waters for those seeking help. If I see a hole that hasn't been covered I'll chime in. Of late, that hasn't been happening often because of the existing knowledge base we have here.

Now to my perceived ego problem. It doesn't exist to the extent a few have here have mentioned. What I will say to the readers of of this board who came/come here to learn how to pitch a softball, or improve on mechanics.

Who have you learned the most from ON THIS BOARD. If it's Bill Hillhouse who has taught you the most through this board, then I tip my hat to you. Because regarding CONTENT about pitching mechanics given OUT FREE ON THIS BOARD, he is way behind the curve IMO. And that is no knock on him. He is running a business. So I guess you could define that as my DFP EGO speaking just a little.

We all have our place. Bills is traveling the country passing on his knowledge while making a living doing so. A noble cause for sure. Mine is right here, sharing what I know and my love for the craft.....For free.

Boardmember.....OUT.

Ok, I debated about replying. Thinking: "What good could come out of it if I did?" But after reading Boardmember's post, there's a few things I feel I MUST address. In no particular order, although #1 is #1 for a reason:

I take umbrage at the fact you believe I have ever talked s**t about you. I am not the type to talk bad behind people's back, if I have something to say I will say it to them. If saying I don't agree with 100% of everything you say means I am talking bad about you then, I'm guilty. But, I do not run up to people and say "Boy is that John guy a jerk". That's ridiculous.

You have contradicted yourself a number of times in your long post John. You say you don't blame me for several things because I'm running a business but then go on to pat yourself on the back for giving all your info for free. I have news for you, I don't read this site very often. I don't have the time. No, not because I'm so swamped with students or because I'm so swamped with finding people to bad mouth you to but, because I'm dealing with a lot of personal stuff. I never intended to drag my personal life into this forum but if you're going to call me out for not posting "free" stuff on here then you should know I'm dealing with SERIOUS health issues, a divorce, situations with my son (which are even more complicated than most since he lives in Europe) and I just don't have the time to read this site or many others for the fun of it. And yes, I am running a business. On one hand you claim to understand that, then go onto talk about the legions of people you've helped here for free and say there's no comparison. Congrats. I didn't know we were in a competition but if we were you'd win. But if you're going to critique me for running a business and understanding that's why I may not post things, then you should also believe Pizza Hutt should give away free pizza and still expect to make a profit. Pitching instruction, clinics, seminars, lessons are my job. If doing what I do for a living is a noble cause as you said, then don't try to keep score based off this website. If you need me to go ahead and tell you how you own me 20-1 (at the very least) when it comes to posts on here, fine. You do. But not posting on here doesn't mean I don't do things to help the game. There isn't an email that comes to me with questions that i don't answer or try to. There have been several people who lost their jobs but, I'd still see the kid(s) without cost... feeling that the kids will suffer enough without the income, pitching shouldn't be one of those things if I can help. So don't come on here and tell me I don't do things except for money. If you want to believe that to make yourself feel special go ahead but believing doesn't make it so.

You have a very passive aggressive way about you. You say something then expect everyone to think it's just a joke. You had a good ole time with your comments about me when the owner of this site and I went into business together, and unbeknownst to me he re-named this the House of Pitching forum. I had nooooo idea he did that but, your ego didn't like that you put so much "free info" on here that it was an insult because I'm way behind the curve on how many posts I have vs. how many you have. I don't think Marc would've done it if he had known the backlash and bruise to some egos that would occur but I didn't do it and I didn't know anything about it!!! And while I'm on it, I had no idea about this thread or that Amanda S. mentioned me (and my brother and Folkard) in her broadcast. I know I'm not alone in thinking that you sometimes make posters on here feel down right stupid for not understanding the IR thing and you make your passive aggressive remarks towards them too. It's like your IR discovery and sticky thread gives you cart blanch to treat others in a condescending way.

John, to make a snide remark about my "dedicated followers" is an extreme case of pot calling kettle black. If I have dedicated followers, you have down right disciples!!!! I will, no doubt be slammed by those who will defend Boardmember to kingdom come. No rational human being can deny your contributions to this board. Long before your first IR thread, I had made numerous newsletters about the pitching coach mafia. Which is, essentially, the people everyone on this board screams about daily teaching HE pitching. I used humor in calling them the PCM and saying they are a criminal enterprise who should be locked up under federal RICO laws. Then, you came along and put words into my humor by explaining HE vs. IR.

John, I don't have a problem with you. When we've had issues in the past, I thought we handled them. There is NOTHING I would say behind your back that I wouldn't say to you. But, I do think you are very passive aggressive. And I think it's amazing that you put the amount of time that you do to this site.... and that's only what I know about, I'm sure your INBOX is filled daily. You do deserve all the praise you get here because you've helped countless people, and yes, I admit... much much much more than I have. Maybe if life clears up for me, and more importantly my health makes and upturn, I'll have the ability and time to do more. I may never catch up to you and do as much but maybe more. However, I have much more serious issues I'm dealing with. On the life of my child I don't recall ever talking s**t behind your back (hell, I don't even know you and wouldn't know you if you knocked on my door!!). But if you were told different, I'd love to know who, in what context, and apologize if necessary. It's completely out of character for me to do something like that and I will have no problem apologizing in front of this whole board. But lets cut the crap about my devoted followers and people on my payroll and all the other junk that is your way of being "funny" while also doing the whole passive aggressive thing. Believe me, you don't want to get into an argument about who has more "devoted followers" or more payroll on this board... you'd win hands down.

Bill

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This entire thread should be deleted.

I was more or less ignoring this but went back to read OP, not good.

DD sucks at pitching, she has only been doing it for 7 years so she is still learning.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I was hoping Bill wouldn't see this and it would just drift away.

Whatever you are going though Bill-I hope God carries you and your family through it and we get the benefit of your wit, wisdom and occasional body slams for years to come.

Jul 14, 2008
Sorry to hear you're dealing with personal problems Bill. Hopefully life gets easier for you going forward. Can we get something straight right away. When I said "hardly comparable" I was complimenting YOU. For traveling the country and dedicating your life to teaching the game. There is no comparison to what you give to the softball world when compared what I do, posting here on ONE BOARD in my off time, sitting on my somewhat fat rear........Which is partly why I have much respect for you. So you completely missed that point. Sorry.

I don't know what prompted CG to open a post by attacking me in a post meant to compliment you. But it pissed me off. Plain and simple. Like I said, a complete GAFF on his part.

Read this AGAIN: What bothers me the most about it is that I have nothing but respect for Bill and what he's given to the game of Fastpitch by committing his life to bettering the game across the country and beyond. I only committed to bettering the girls I've worked with directly, and the 10's of thousands of readers of this board. Hardly comparable in my opinion.

The point of the second sentence above was that I don't try to belittle myself for what I've done for the people ON THIS BOARD like someone eating humble pie. It isn't like that. I'm pretty proud of how many people my posts have impacted here.

As I said in my opening sentence. CG's BS comments about me seem to be out of the blue attacks in an attempt start someone's fantasy war between You and I, and I can't understand why.

I'm glad to hear you don't talk crap about me. Thx for clearing that up. A simple "I don't talk crap about you" would've been fine with me if you really wanted to tell me that. :cool:

I do hope you feel better after writing your post. I know I did after writing mine.........;)

And I know if/when we ever meet, you'll want me to tell you all about that "I/R crap"........;)

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
The one thing that drives me nutty about this sport... is all the people that start sh*t from the sidelines. Get it, or get out. John and Bill have immersed themselves in this game and given back to it more than most. When you do that, it creates pride. It should... cause without that... what validation do you have to continue?

Absolutely disappointed in the snarky comments that start this kind of crap... whether a joke or not... is there a point?