High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here, all but one or two of the players from the entire high school softball program (freshmen through seniors) played on the head coach's private travelball team. They are told to do so as part of the HS tryout process. My DD is in the doghouse because she decided that she wasn't going to as soon as the high school season was over. This is what makes me very sensitive to njx2's situation. Again, it is a private-public conflict of interest. A private softball organization should not have full control of a high school softball program.

If it's legal, I can see where this could be a positive thing - if the coach of it were doing it to ensure that high school players have a good option to play travel ball. But if it's a thing where it's understood that your route to the varsity goes through this team, then yes, that's not a healthy situation, at all.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
If it's legal, I can see where this could be a positive thing - if the coach of it were doing it to ensure that high school players have a good option to play travel ball.

I agree completely!

But if it's a thing where it's understood that your route to the varsity goes through this team, then yes, that's not a healthy situation, at all.

That's essentially what goes on here. You are essentially shunned by the coaches (mainly the head coach), the parents, and the players if you choose to not play the coach's travelball team. This is why njx2's situation sounds all too familiar to me. My own DD fully believes her HS coach hates her and I can see why she thinks that, he is VERY cool toward her as if she's some sort of sinner. She was loyal to her HS softball team during the high school season, but that loyalty shouldn't be based on worshiping at the HS coach's travelball team altar.

Again, this is why I think it is a serious conflict of interest when the HS coach's private travelball organization has control over the HS softball organization. It is all but impossible for players from outside to be treated fairly in HS.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
Most schools here have tryouts in the spring right after the season or at the very start of summer. TN unless it has changed this yr. is numbers and where they go to school has no effect during the summer on TB teams. Once school starts since they were named on roster from tryouts is limited to 5 max from any one school. HS coachs have a short no contact period during the summer.

Dec 7, 2011
PS. If the coaches become part of the HS staff then how you approach them will differ, and I recommend always having the AD there, and not talking about HS outside of chit-chat and the HS environment. I would also limit contact with any ACs starting now because they have their own agendas.

This whole thing reeks and should not happen. This is how predators and abusive/bad coaches get near kids.

Be careful with this thinking that the AD & HC are not already on the same side......

Dec 7, 2011
That's not the problem, the problem is they often get the coaching position in rec or TB without any experience or credentials; then they hang on as daddy ball coach for years. Teachers are subject to many rules, training, and background checks to get near our kids, and then some coaches waltz in? How do we know our kids our safe and getting proper sports values, never mind adults coming in and causing damage to the kids' psyches?

Lack of money is not an excuse to create a dynasty. Quite the opposite.

Yes & No here -

Most "daddy's" that waltz in are far better SB coaches.

But I agree with you on the background checks.....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There are so many ex-fastpitch players coming out of college and older ones coming back to the game, the daddies will be out of there soon. And no they don't make better coaches than former players, just go over to the baseball field and ask there.

Another assertion deeply based on personal fantasy, well removed from reality.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles