High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
While I tend to agree this may be a bad situation I think you are taking gigantic leap to conclusions with this and painting with a an exceptionally broad brush.

Given the number of actual teacher/coach predator abuse reports, slinging mud at essentially volunteer coaches is a pretty unnecessary thing to do. Particularly to a specific situation that you have no details about.

And how do you know the school is not conducting these background checks on volunteers?

Yes, I think the cases of scoundrel HS coaches who are bias and unfair is far more prevalent than predator cases. In fact, I think the predator cases are extremely rare given how schools are so (justifiably) sensitive to it.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I left my town's travel team at a young age to look elsewhere, causing hard feelings along the way. Now, it is coming back to bite me in the butt.

Competition for positions on the HS team is good, both for player and team. However, if a coach is being vindictive/unfair, as if to punish, it is wrong and should not be tolerated. But the odds are that it will be tolerated by the complacent powers that be in high school. Those who grab the power have the power and frequently abuse the power. This is why a travelball organization should not be allowed to monopolize control of a high school softball organization.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Needed some thoughts and opinions on this situation..

Due to lacking funds, my high school is bringing in player's fathers to assist in coaching both varsity and JV, as well as run the winter training. They are the same fathers who coach the town's travel league, and their plan is to make their whole travel team the varsity team. Making the smart decision and getting as far away from daddy ball as possible, I left my town's travel team at a young age to look elsewhere, causing hard feelings along the way. Now, it is coming back to bite me in the butt.

This is causing my ideas on high school ball to change completely. Has anyone faced a similar problem or have experience with this??

You didn't mention where you live and that's fine, but most state HS athletic associations have rules in place about HS coaches being involved in outside coaching and mixing the two as you describe. If your HS is part of a state association, it may be worth doing some research to see exactly what the particular rules are in your state.

May 14, 2010
I am not going to address the OP, but I will give a little perspective from someone serving on a School Board.

While everyone here has never witnessed this, coaching HS sports is not always as desirable as a winning lottery ticket. In our district, and many local ones, we are lucky to get even 1 applicant for most coaching positions. So while we would all love to have Mike Candrea apply, we usually settle for anyone that can pass a background check and express a little knowledge. Sometimes, because the contract allows, we even have to draft a teacher. Imagine how productive it is to have a coach that was forced to do it! Sad, but that's the truth around here.

Volunteers are often the backbone of the program. They often have TB experience and, often, more knowledge than the HC. While most are Dads and therefore ignorant and useless (sarcasm), they can make a program successful.

Instantly criticizing parents for being inept coaches is like calling all black people gang bangers or all Hispanics, illegal. Realize that there are a lot of differing examples out there. Many differ from your experience, but that doesn't make them wrong.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I don't see what you see in my posts, are you volunteers and feeling sensitive or something?

Not at all but even our local rec league where I do volunteer has background checks.
My wife teaches science at the local elementary school as a volunteer (she has a Ph. D and teaches university courses as well) and she is subject to annual finger printing (at her expense ) and background check (at district expense) before she's allowed in the class room. And that's 1 day a week with the teacher present.
I can't imagine a school district taking on anyone dealing directly with kids not running at least some kind of minimal background check simply for liability reasons.

Aug 27, 2013
I am a middle infielder, and I play on an 18u showcase team. Due to seniors departing, the team will be in need of middle infielders. However, as mentioned, there seems to be a set squad already. A friend of mine is dealing with the same situation (left the town travel league early) and she is considering not trying out. I can't just not try out and give up, the sport is my life. These coaches look down upon me due to the fact that I turned away their instruction early on, and I know that this will effect me greatly.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I am a middle infielder, and I play on an 18u showcase team. Due to seniors departing, the team will be in need of middle infielders. However, as mentioned, there seems to be a set squad already. A friend of mine is dealing with the same situation (left the town travel league early) and she is considering not trying out. I can't just not try out and give up, the sport is my life. These coaches look down upon me due to the fact that I turned away their instruction early on, and I know that this will effect me greatly.

Have any of these "coaches" actually said anything nasty or "un-coach-ly" to you? Or is this your perception? Understanding, of course, that perception is often reality...if it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck...

If I were you, I'd go ahead and try out...doesn't mean you have to accept a spot if you still feel the same way afterwards...

You said you're on an 18U showcase team...so not playing HS ball should not affect your college opportunities should you desire to play college ball...if you don't play HS ball, concentrate on individual conditioning and training...or better yet, listen to Amy in AZ and run track...

Good luck to you.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I agreed earlier that competition is good. The problem is, individual players and their parents, even some coaches, don't want the competition. The parents, especially the daddy coaches, of the players within the click (those who seem to be in control of the high school team) will not want you to come and compete out their child. You will seldom find support among the parents within the click of people in control. No, this crap should not be allowed to prevail in a public high school softball program, but it is everywhere, and likely something you cannot change. What you can do is treat this as a challenge to defeat. Give it your best shot. If you feel the bias and vindictive treatment is to great, leave. Treat it as a life lesson of how not to behave should you, as an adult, end up in a position such as they are in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles