High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I applaud the coaches out there who are not vindictive toward players for decisions regarding who they play TB for. I also applaud the coaches out there who aren't wolves in sheep's clothing. Player and parent should be watchful of the bad kind, maybe even steer clear of them completely.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Doing a different sport will not ruin your chances of getting a college scholarship. My kids baseball and softball team would have never accepted a girl that dissed the program at any time. If you even played elsewhere as a 6th grader you were done with school ball.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doing a different sport will not ruin your chances of getting a college scholarship. My kids baseball and softball team would have never accepted a girl that dissed the program at any time. If you even played elsewhere as a 6th grader you were done with school ball.

It is shameful that this is allowed to happen in a public school.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Perhaps ^. But, it was an unusual situation. The baseball coach had all of the boys from kindergarten PE, on. He coached 6th grade through varsity. They were state champs and were there year after year. But, baseball is a bit different than softball. I don't think that not playing HS softball hurts your chances of a college scholarship. Now, I don't know if not making the team would, or sitting the bench would. But, chances are the college coach could care less.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My issue, and I think njx2 has a similar issue, is when a private softball organization ends up with complete control of a public high school softball program and abuses their power giving favor to the players of that private softball team.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
My issue, and I think njx2 has a similar issue, is when a private softball organization ends up with complete control of a public high school softball program and abuses their power giving favor to the players of that private softball team.

I really don't understand that whole mentality. I once asked a HS Coach what he would rather have on his team, "All the players playing at the highest level they can on whatever team" or "All the players playing together under the program?"

HAHA of course his answer was the girls playing the highest level they could.

I can't imagine a coach turning away a kid that is playing 18G on some "other" team.... Gaad people and their power trips!!!

May 14, 2010
I really don't understand that whole mentality. I once asked a HS Coach what he would rather have on his team, "All the players playing at the highest level they can on whatever team" or "All the players playing together under the program?"

HAHA of course his answer was the girls playing the highest level they could.

I can't imagine a coach turning away a kid that is playing 18G on some "other" team.... Gaad people and their power trips!!!

I can't imagine that either. But I have turned some players away that thought they were 18G. Even though they were truly Rec in skill level, knowledge and maturity. Their parents were less than amused.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Due to lacking funds, my high school is bringing in player's fathers to assist in coaching both varsity and JV, as well as run the winter training. They are the same fathers who coach the town's travel league, and their plan is to make their whole travel team the varsity team.

Rules differ around the country, but where we live GHSA limits the number of high school girls from playing on the same TB team for this exact reason. I believe the magic number is 5 per team.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Rules differ around the country, but where we live GHSA limits the number of high school girls from playing on the same TB team for this exact reason. I believe the magic number is 5 per team.

Not aware of that GHSA rule, JAD. Lived in Georgia until a couple of years ago and followed GHSA and high school stuff pretty closely. But I could be wrong.

I know of a guy right now who is building a travel team in metro ATL of 5+ players from a high school team. It's a terrible team, so won't have any impact.

I have heard it in other states, though. Maybe Tennessee? In NC, my daughter left a team a year ago that is coached by the #1 assistant on varsity at her high school. That team has at least 5 players at the high school, which I think is legal. But I trust that this coach is pretty fair and won't favor them. We'll see this spring.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I know of a guy right now who is building a travel team in metro ATL of 5+ players from a high school team.

I don't think the issue regards how many high school players are on any one particular travel team, unless that travel team is coached by the HS coach or one of the assistants or both.

Here, all but one or two of the players from the entire high school softball program (freshmen through seniors) played on the head coach's private travelball team. They are told to do so as part of the HS tryout process. My DD is in the doghouse because she decided that she wasn't going to as soon as the high school season was over. This is what makes me very sensitive to njx2's situation. Again, it is a private-public conflict of interest. A private softball organization should not have full control of a high school softball program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles