High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I can't speak for these coaches. I coached HS baseball for a very long time. We had a young man who's father wanted him to go to a private school. I don't know the reason why and it was not my business. They left or at least gave the impression that they left and then, the next thing you know, the boy is in my classroom. He didn't talk baseball etc. at all for the first semester. He didn't come to open gyms etc. Then, he showed up for tryouts. He wanted to have a talk with me. He was afraid that I took his "leaving" personal and that he would not be given a chance. Just the opposite was the truth. I was glad to see him at tryouts. He was a great kid. Maybe you need to see if you can have a one on one talk with the coaching staff and let them know that you are excited about trying out for the HS team.

A one-on-one talk between a young man and his male high school coach (or all male coaching staff) is one thing. A one-on-one coach between a young lady and a male coach (or male-dominated coaching staff) who holds a grudge over these things is quite another thing. I guess the real question here is whether or not njx2 feels that anyone in the coaching staff holds a grudge.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I am a middle infielder, and I play on an 18u showcase team. Due to seniors departing, the team will be in need of middle infielders. However, as mentioned, there seems to be a set squad already. A friend of mine is dealing with the same situation (left the town travel league early) and she is considering not trying out. I can't just not try out and give up, the sport is my life. These coaches look down upon me due to the fact that I turned away their instruction early on, and I know that this will effect me greatly.

Honestly-if it means that much to you do like my daughter and MANY others who did what you did-put a smile on your face and go to tryouts to prove them wrong.

Regardless of the end result you will know you did the best you could and what you feel is right FOR YOU AND YOUR CAREER. Unless your HS is winning State and National titles what happens there will mean little to your college ambitions. In high school your GRADES are the top item colleges are looking at ;)

The top recruiters at the National Collegiate Scouting Agency and many many top college coaches have told me this in person. Relax and go kick some butt at tryouts!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Let me qualify this by saying neither DD nor I have been in your position.

Besides the political BS, do you like the coaches?
Do you get along with the players that you think will be making the Team?
Assuming you are the best player on the Team, can you sit on the bench for 3 months or will it just drive you nuts ever play that you would have made or AB you would have done better?

I am not a fan of trying out, making a Team then declining the offer. I do think there is a lot more to playing for the school then playing time.

It does not sound like you are going to be able to change the situation and even if you try would probably only make it worse for you.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
I am a middle infielder, and I play on an 18u showcase team. Due to seniors departing, the team will be in need of middle infielders. However, as mentioned, there seems to be a set squad already. A friend of mine is dealing with the same situation (left the town travel league early) and she is considering not trying out. I can't just not try out and give up, the sport is my life. These coaches look down upon me due to the fact that I turned away their instruction early on, and I know that this will effect me greatly.

Most coaches I know want to win and play the best 9 on the field. If you are a superior MIF to those on the coaches TB team, they will play you. It makes no sense to have an inferior player in an important position when a better payer is available. I say go to tryouts and win the position!

May 14, 2010
So is there anything factual to base this thread on or is it just teen drama?

OP says it seems the squad is set. So lineup cards have been posted on Facebook? Uniforms have been given out? Or is this just an opportunity to bash coaches before they even show up for work? Based on???

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Most coaches I know want to win and play the best 9 on the field. If you are a superior MIF to those on the coaches TB team, they will play you. It makes no sense to have an inferior player in an important position when a better payer is available. I say go to tryouts and win the position!

njx2, I wouldn't assume that your coach will necessarily play the best 9, particularly given the history you describe. Besides, who the best 9 are is a matter of opinion, and his opinion in this regard will most certainly be affected by the history here. In fact, if you were to ask 9 different qualified coaches who the best 9 were, you'd likely come up with 7-8 different opinions, and those opinions would be based largely with each coach's history with that player.

Believe it or not, there IS a get-even-with-them attitude among most coaches, at least most I know. We're not pure like snow. Njx2's unwillingness to worship at the assistant coach's altar will most certainly cultivate at least the assistant's need to get even (or punish) her for now worshiping at the local team's altar.

It's been my experience that particularly among coaches there is a strong need to punish (be vindictive) what are seen as wayward players.

May 14, 2010
Unless you happen to be the coach that is getting publicly bashed by an adolescent (parents, friends, ???) for nothing. If I was the coach, I wouldn't hold her TB experience against her. But I sure as heck hold her responsible for taking her drama public and bashing the staff.

I doubt many college coaches cares whether she plays HS softball. But I also doubt that college coaches would approve of handling this alleged situation publicly. Grades matter, but so does maturity.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego

You obviously didn't see any of my DD's HS games last season...:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles