High Level Throwing: 5 Common Throwing Mistakes Coaches & Players Continue to Make

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
So how much is the cost? $35 or $50.

Would this b good for girls 8u that r just learning?

It is great for those just learning. That's usually before they've developed bad habits that are hard to break.

I use his drills with my 9/10 rec team. Some do it better than others and I need to show the foot work several times but after 1 to 3 practices all the girls can generally do all the drills reasonably well and we simply use that as our throwing warm up routine.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Austin,

A question in regards to the water bottle drill.

In your Throwing Patterns: The “L” Drill vs High Level Throwing article, particularly the paragraph where you describe the second video, you state:

As the water shifts in the bottle, it allows an athlete to feel the resistance created by the body.

A colleague reads the "shift" as the water moving inside the bottle, sloshing from the bottom to the top during the throwing motion.

I've always assumed it was more akin to windmill style arm circles with a bucket of water. Water never comes out of the bucket as centripetal forces hold it in the bucket. During the water bottle drill, water should never leave the bottom of the bottle throughout the throwing motion. This is how I have my girls do this drill, as I think if water sloshes to the neck of the bottle during the motion there must be a hitch or pause in the throw.

Any clarification?

ps. Thanks a TON for the articles and videos. They are GOLD.

Edit: pss. I can't get the discounted link to work either. Spending $50 will get me a four hour interrogation from the DW. $35 will be under her financial threshold.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Austin,

A question in regards to the water bottle drill.

In your Throwing Patterns: The “L” Drill vs High Level Throwing article, particularly the paragraph where you describe the second video, you state:

A colleague reads the "shift" as the water moving inside the bottle, sloshing from the bottom to the top during the throwing motion.

I've always assumed it was more akin to windmill style arm circles with a bucket of water. Water never comes out of the bucket as centripetal forces hold it in the bucket. During the water bottle drill, water should never leave the bottom of the bottle throughout the throwing motion. This is how I have my girls do this drill, as I think if water sloshes to the neck of the bottle during the motion there must be a hitch or pause in the throw.

Any clarification?

I'm going to bump this to see if I can get an answer. *BUMP*

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Austin's material is very good. I have used a lot of it myself. Highly recommended to all softball players and coaches. I posted a link also on Facebook for others to see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414