Help with the Drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Nice... she's got it dropping real nice !!! :cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8DIbBRz22O4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's another filming/editing idea. The green box is a guessed 4' in front of plate. White square straight up from front of plate

OTTD_3.gif
Neat stuff PC!!! I like it

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Neat stuff PC!!! I like it

My point in suggesting some video set up, is to help you see how to calibrate the pitch. Mine is virtual editing. But I do it with Chinnese jump rope, survey ribbon...ect. Get your markers in place...where she will have instant feedback on the pitch. You can experiment with tighter spin, and variations of speed. Your wanting to get an "Off-the-Table" drop. Being able to throw higher...and it starts it bend right @ the 3-4' mark & down even more & faster. :cool:

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
My point in suggesting some video set up, is to help you see how to calibrate the pitch. Mine is virtual editing. But I do it with Chinnese jump rope, survey ribbon...ect. Get your markers in place...where she will have instant feedback on the pitch. You can experiment with tighter spin, and variations of speed. Your wanting to get an "Off-the-Table" drop. Being able to throw higher...and it starts it bend right @ the 3-4' mark & down even more & faster. :cool:

Ok, we'll give it a shot next time out. She'll like trying something new. What's the speed difference in your DD'S fastball and her drop?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Ok, we'll give it a shot next time out. She'll like trying something new. What's the speed difference in your DD'S fastball and her drop?

Her drop ball is her (fastball) We learned it that way. We started Drop, CU & Rise... picked-up Curve & Screw for fun of it in the winters.

Feb 7, 2013
The only way to really measure the drop effect of the drop ball is to know its revolutions per second (RPS) using a RevFire gun. If you are not getting at least 20 RPS with good speed 55+ mph and close to 12/6 spin, it's not really a dropball. Otherwise it's just a pitch with a lack of speed and gravity making the ball move downward which will not be effective against good batters.

Apr 14, 2015
South Australia
The only way to really measure the drop effect of the drop ball is to know its revolutions per second (RPS) using a RevFire gun. If you are not getting at least 20 RPS with good speed 55+ mph and close to 12/6 spin, it's not really a dropball. Otherwise it's just a pitch with a lack of speed and gravity making the ball move downward which will not be effective against good batters.

I have to agree here, IMO a true drop ball should start it's life looking flat and fat like a fast ball and then drop below the knees once the batter has committed her swing and is predominantly a ground out pitch.....infielders love them :p .. My DD had this theory instilled very early which helped her understand the whip and snap required to make this happen, yes they did land in the dirt occasionly but it has definitely paid off now.

A slight front resistance shift staying over the ball longer with a huge emphasis on pulling the fingers up through the top of the ball worked for us.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

I agree... and your #'s are pretty close, the 12/6~2seam a must. For the good batter's make sure your on a good enough team that has descent infielders. Like all pitches, you can't live with it... every pitch. It has to be set up. With 20+ RPS you can live on their mistakes... fouls are strikes, & catching pop-ups get your team fired up to hit !!! Like the 5'6" rookie pitcher last night that sent the scrap yard dogz home. :cool:

Now dropping action, breaking 2 planes & bending @ or after hitters launch, is good as gold for an off speed pitch. They gotta keep their hands back & golf @ it...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles