Help with Daughter's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2015
My daughter is 10 years old and is a decent softball player. She has been told she has a good swing and has good plate discipline, rarely swings at bad pitches. Her main issue is that she does not keep her eye on the ball and she swings late. She is big for her age and can crush the ball when she makes contact.

I have told her to watch the ball and as it follows the pitcher’s hand; load up and is if she is going to hit and if it is a bad pitch, lay off.

Is that a way to work on these two issues? Drills?

Also, anyone know of a good hitting coach in the Baltimore area?

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
Maybe just a more aggressive approach... swinging more. I have problems with my better hitters (10U also) swinging late... like they decided if it was a ball or strike too late.

One drill is to watch pitches all the way to the backstop even when not swinging.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
She cant wait to decide it's a strike. She has to have the mindset every pitch is a strike until it's not. Go go go go go No. Or yes yes yes No. Much easier to stop your swing than it is to start

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
One way to help her to keep her eye on the ball longer is to put different colored dots on balls that you do front soft toss with. She has to call out the color of the dot on the ball.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Break the swing down into steps for her. Set up. Load. Launch. Explode.

1. good athletic stance and set up.
2. slow and early load
3. launch, stride, step, what ever you want to call it. The process of actually getting the swing started with the lower half of the body. Remember separation between upper and lower half, and hands stay back.
4. explode through the ball, while keeping your eye on the ball until it hits the bat, or the catchers glove.

Now the most important part, and have her do this in practice, with soft toss, front toss, or what ever. Make sure that she knows that she is going to do ALL OF THE FIRST THREE STEPS on every pitch. Then all is left is to decide if its a ball or strike and hit the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207