Help! How can we improve my 11 year olds speed! Video.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Watch the upper arm.... and tell me the difference...
Look at the shoulders and hips in relationship to each other at release..... then tell me the difference....
Pay attention to posture... then tell me the difference.....

I assure you she is getting plenty of whip.... a 13YO girl that stands at a whopping 5' 1" does not throw the ball with the velocity she is capable of without it.

You are absolutely correct there is a lot more good happening in the yellow shirt. I focused on the ball orientation because I thought that was what you were focusing on given the previous talk of correcting a 3rd base orientation to a more palm to sky orientation.

I wasn't intending to be critical. I just meant that if ball orientation was the focus, I didn't see a huge difference between the two and I didn't think it was a detail worth dedicating that much time to in light of other deficiencies.

I apologize if I misunderstood the point of the comparison.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
This flaw has zero to do with I/R and more to do with HE instruction.

The issue is as simple this:

In HE instruction the first move coming off the rubber is to TWIST open.

We want to sprint off the rubber (per Java and the other big hitter PC's on here)...if we were running a race, would your first move be to twist and push with your groin? That is exactly what the young lady in the video is doing. This creates that rear leg anchor and glove swim, IMO.

Is this pitcher twisting open and then moving forward or is she moving forward an then opening?

119szsy.gif

Once you are comfortable that she can throw the ball correctly underhand using I/R and the tape on her ball is spinning with the correct rotation and axis, try just playing catch - underhand. Make her walk through to you after the throw.

I have clinic all day tomorrow and will try and get some video of what I mean...CP

I totally agree, maybe my post wasn't worded correctly. When's witching to IR we had to correct the before mentioned flaws due to HE instruction simply because I knew no better 8 years ago. We continue to struggle with HE "moves" such as opening too quick and pushing the ball, I would have thought that a year would have been long enough to break old habits but I guess not.

Jul 17, 2012
You are absolutely correct there is a lot more good happening in the yellow shirt. I focused on the ball orientation because I thought that was what you were focusing on given the previous talk of correcting a 3rd base orientation to a more palm to sky orientation.

I wasn't intending to be critical. I just meant that if ball orientation was the focus, I didn't see a huge difference between the two and I didn't think it was a detail worth dedicating that much time to in light of other deficiencies.

I apologize if I misunderstood the point of the comparison.

No apologies necessary... It's a good discussion. Do you think she is in a loaded position (from an arm perspective) to throw the ball in the pink shirt? I don't....and maybe that's where we have a difference of opinion. I do feel like she's in a good position (loaded, lag, overlap - whatever you want to call it) to whip the ball in the yellow shirt. The big change there is the orientation of her arm down the back side of the circle. As I have come to understand it, when the palm is facing up in the back, the bicep is engaged and is able to maintain the flex in the elbow despite the centrifugal force that wants to straighten the elbow. Slightly pronate your forearm to have the ball face 3rd, and the bicep disengages.....allowing the athletes arm to straighten out as a result of the force of the arm circle.

And I agree with you, she's still off a hair with timing. This video was a first crack at a drop, but she doesn't get the thumb forward in order to put the proper spin on the ball... she's still inside the ball too long and putting the "Boardmember" signature fastball spin on the ball. So her recent training has been to try to hit her inner right thigh with her thumb in hopes that queue will create a more aggressive ....earlier release and allow the thumb to get forward and the fingers behind the ball to get the right spin. Right now she's staying inside the ball a split second too long. In the couple weeks since that video was taken....she's been killing a lot of worms.... so I'm hoping that's a good sign. No video to support it...... I don't have one of those snazzy cameras that Javasource has (just yet anyway) to capture that..... I have to rely on the striped ball and it's hit and miss....more misses than hits.

Jul 17, 2012
Ken, my camera shot the crappy pink shirt video with all the missing frames....Mike's camera shot the yellow shirt clip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like how clean and crisp the frames are from your camera, but REALLY like Mike's rig--very tempted. Speaking of Mike, hoping you are close enough to see him regularly. I hope he makes that the trip out to the PacNW soon so I can get DD in to work with him (OK, I might want to jam in person...)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez