Help! How can we improve my 11 year olds speed! Video.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
There is no quick fix. B patient. Do not stress. Have fun playing catch. Work on one one thing at a time. Do not overwhelm her.
Did u read the sticky "I/R in the classroom"?
I agree with Ken B there is no better site!
Did I mention b patient?

Welcome aboard!

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Reminds me of my DD to a tee, exactly our biggest enemies when we began the IR switch last year.

This flaw has zero to do with I/R and more to do with HE instruction.

The issue is as simple this:

In HE instruction the first move coming off the rubber is to TWIST open.

We want to sprint off the rubber (per Java and the other big hitter PC's on here)...if we were running a race, would your first move be to twist and push with your groin? That is exactly what the young lady in the video is doing. This creates that rear leg anchor and glove swim, IMO.

Is this pitcher twisting open and then moving forward or is she moving forward an then opening?

119szsy.gif

Once you are comfortable that she can throw the ball correctly underhand using I/R and the tape on her ball is spinning with the correct rotation and axis, try just playing catch - underhand. Make her walk through to you after the throw.

I have clinic all day tomorrow and will try and get some video of what I mean...CP

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I really like this thread. I would work through all these points to learn conceptually what is going on. IMHO glove swim is a symptom not a cause. Her glove swim is bad, but it is bad because something else is broke. Fix the root problem and it fixes swim. If you just stop her from glove swimming, it may not address the original problem. She'll feel uncomfortable w/out the swim, and it'll creep back in....for years.... Highly recommend flushing what you know and start fresh with the Pauly drills. They cut right to the chase.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/27761-pitching-lessons-rick-pauly.html

Jul 17, 2012
I can tell you that the arm lockout is a tough one to fix. It's difficult to fix until they can get to the point they "pull" the ball around the circle.... I just went through this with my 13YO. I will share a drill we did DAILY....and it helped. To describe the drill... its a slow motion half circle where she literally WATCHES to make sure she is maintaining a slight bend in the elbow and palm under the ball on the back side of the circle. You'll see she starts off very slow watching and FEELING the proper articulations. Then progresses to get a little faster and a little faster and then does a series of glove tosses... then mixes in an actual throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvPunXrOeo

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Rope, Love that video! My 10 yr old has been watching her downward motion and it has been a plus for her but the progression you're doing looksto be more complete! Very simple way to feel the IR whip.

To the op, listen to what is being said by the others.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This flaw has zero to do with I/R and more to do with HE instruction.

The issue is as simple this:

In HE instruction the first move coming off the rubber is to TWIST open.

We want to sprint off the rubber (per Java and the other big hitter PC's on here)...if we were running a race, would your first move be to twist and push with your groin? That is exactly what the young lady in the video is doing. This creates that rear leg anchor and glove swim, IMO.

Is this pitcher twisting open and then moving forward or is she moving forward an then opening?

119szsy.gif

Once you are comfortable that she can throw the ball correctly underhand using I/R and the tape on her ball is spinning with the correct rotation and axis, try just playing catch - underhand. Make her walk through to you after the throw.

I have clinic all day tomorrow and will try and get some video of what I mean...CP

The angle created by the stride leg naturally opens up the hips.

os7r47.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez