Help! How can we improve my 11 year olds speed! Video.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can tell you that the arm lockout is a tough one to fix. It's difficult to fix until they can get to the point they "pull" the ball around the circle.... I just went through this with my 13YO. I will share a drill we did DAILY....and it helped. To describe the drill... its a slow motion half circle where she literally WATCHES to make sure she is maintaining a slight bend in the elbow and palm under the ball on the back side of the circle. You'll see she starts off very slow watching and FEELING the proper articulations. Then progresses to get a little faster and a little faster and then does a series of glove tosses... then mixes in an actual throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvPunXrOeo

Should NOT have to be forcing "palm up". The "palm to the side" here is fine.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have not seen the original video (the OP has taken it off-line). However correcting a locked out arm is not difficult. Preventing this issue is as easy as NOT teaching happy-elbow, or NOT getting the throwing hand on top/behind the ball. When the hand goes on top/behind the ball the arm will lock out. Consequently you will now throw the ball with your “big” muscles i.e. your shoulders – instead of the small muscles of the forearm/wrist/fingers, which are a lot quicker.

Jul 17, 2012
I have not seen the original video (the OP has taken it off-line). However correcting a locked out arm is not difficult. Preventing this issue is as easy as NOT teaching happy-elbow, or NOT getting the throwing hand on top/behind the ball. When the hand goes on top/behind the ball the arm will lock out. Consequently you will now throw the ball with your “big” muscles i.e. your shoulders – instead of the small muscles of the forearm/wrist/fingers, which are a lot quicker.

When did you become a pitching coach?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When did you become a pitching coach?

I'd ask you the same question, but it is somewhat irrelevant ... I don't really care about how long you've coached ... the content on the other hand is what interests me.

Take another look at your video. Watch the video segment in which you instruct your daughter with the following comment … “Palm up. That was palm to the side.

That instruction does not appear to capture the understanding that passing through a palm-up orientation is not an arm muscled action, but more an arm relaxed/lagged inaction. Note the lack of body movement and the near 100% total control of the pitching action with the throwing arm during that pitch.

Muscling a palm-up orientation is not a good idea. Given a pitcher that is realizing a consistent “palm to the side” orientation, it would be better to teach the lagging/whipping/relaxed feel accompanied with proper body usage, over a muscled “palm up” orientation.

The issue here is that the body was not being used in a manner to create a lagging palm-up orientation … the issue was not with the natural “palm to the side” orientation being achieved.

Jul 17, 2012
I'd ask you the same question, but it is somewhat irrelevant ... I don't really care about how long you've coached ... the content on the other hand is what interests me.

Take another look at your video. Watch the video segment in which you instruct your daughter with the following comment … “Palm up. That was palm to the side.

That instruction does not appear to capture the understanding that passing through a palm-up orientation is not an arm muscled action, but more an arm relaxed/lagged inaction. Note the lack of body movement and the near 100% total control of the pitching action with the throwing arm during that pitch.

Muscling a palm-up orientation is not a good idea. Given a pitcher that is realizing a consistent “palm to the side” orientation, it would be better to teach the lagging/whipping/relaxed feel accompanied with proper body usage, over a muscled “palm up” orientation.

The issue here is that the body was not being used in a manner to create a lagging palm-up orientation … the issue was not with the natural “palm to the side” orientation being achieved.

You're correct...it is a FORCED palm up orientation...because she had to force it. She had to relearn how to throw a ball. That's the "CONTENT" of my post and the demo video. Unfortunately, when you're trying to change something..it needs to be forced. It needs to be a cognitive thought.

Here's a comparison of palm to the side which she was originally taught, and palm up.... Pop quiz... Which one is better? Pink or Yellow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOO8PqcsCaU

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
The angle created by the stride leg naturally opens up the hips.

os7r47.gif

Agreed.

IMO the key term you used is "naturally." Nothing contrived in Burroughs getting open...it happens as a result of her upstream movements...CP

Apr 12, 2015
Pop quiz... Which one is better? Pink or Yellow?

Honestly, I'm not seeing significant difference in them. Sure, the yellow is probably "better", but in my opinion that is like asking "which orange is more orange". The difference isn't worth quibbling about.

My greater concern would be the missed release point, BI wrap, and whip action.

Were these videos of her just concentrating on keeping the ball up? I don't recall seeing the other issues in other videos you've posted before.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You're correct...it is a FORCED palm up orientation...because she had to force it. She had to relearn how to throw a ball. That's the "CONTENT" of my post and the demo video. Unfortunately, when you're trying to change something..it needs to be forced. It needs to be a cognitive thought.

Here's a comparison of palm to the side which she was originally taught, and palm up.... Pop quiz... Which one is better? Pink or Yellow?

Now go back to the drill you showed earlier. Take note that your daughter is bringing her throwing arm back behind her. Try this yourself. Duplicate what she is doing. Then tell me if you still believe “palm to the side” is not more natural in what she is doing in that drill. The comments to maintain palm up fail to capture that palm up is, if it occurs, momentary and generally a function of lag, not the forced/tightened position she is bringing her arm to.

Jul 17, 2012
Honestly, I'm not seeing significant difference in them. Sure, the yellow is probably "better", but in my opinion that is like asking "which orange is more orange". The difference isn't worth quibbling about.

My greater concern would be the missed release point, BI wrap, and whip action.

Were these videos of her just concentrating on keeping the ball up? I don't recall seeing the other issues in other videos you've posted before.

Dneeld, if you think those 2 videos are the same... you're missing some pretty important portions of the pitch.... Forget about the orientation of the ball...

Watch the upper arm.... and tell me the difference...
Look at the shoulders and hips in relationship to each other at release..... then tell me the difference....
Pay attention to posture... then tell me the difference.....

I assure you she is getting plenty of whip.... a 13YO girl that stands at a whopping 5' 1" does not throw the ball with the velocity she is capable of without it.

Your're right... she's still blowing through the ideal release point... but it's an improvement....and a work in progress.

Jul 17, 2012
Now go back to the drill you showed earlier. Take note that your daughter is bringing her throwing arm back behind her. Try this yourself. Duplicate what she is doing. Then tell me if you still believe “palm to the side” is not more natural in what she is doing in that drill. The comments to maintain palm up fail to capture that palm up is, if it occurs, momentary and generally a function of lag, not the forced/tightened position she is bringing her arm to.

I think I heard someone calling for your help in the hitting forums

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619