HE question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2014
DD just started pitching last year in 8u. We went to a few pitching "clinics" put on by the league. Stressing wrist flips and getting the arm circle a big and straight as possible before snapping the wrist at the end. Palm on top of the ball at release, elbow facing the catcher at the end. DD was soo frustrated she did not even want to pitch. She has always been a top player in her short LL career and we lamented the boys get to pitch overhand while the girls have to learn a new, stupid motion. She has a great arm and it would have been fun to see her pitch. Anywho, the team needed a pitcher so she winged it tossing it horse shoe style and did pretty well. Even played 10u fall ball throwing 25 miles per hour. We knew she was on borrowed time before somebody really tagged her, but just being accurate she was surprisingly effective.

At the end of fall ball she said she wanted to throw faster and would really focus on the wrist flips if that is what it would take. Sheer drudgery. But it pissed her off to throw so slow. Coincidentally, then I found the Hillhouse videos and just telling her the underhand motion was like the overhand, just flipped a switch in her wonderful, newly, nine year old mind. She went from low to mid 20's to mid 30's...in an hour. Naturally, rotating across her body at release...

Nov 18, 2013
The difference as I see it is that HE is a technique taught to beginners as a way to get them to follow through toward the plate. As girls become older they’re taught more of a whipping motion. On this board it’s called IR and has a cult following. If you disagree with any aspect of IR you’re an idiot. If your daughter was taught by a former player and doesn’t use the term IR you’re a complete moron. Other than that the IR crowd is very open minded and civil.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The difference as I see it is that HE is a technique taught to beginners as a way to get them to follow through toward the plate. As girls become older they’re taught more of a whipping motion. On this board it’s called IR and has a cult following. If you disagree with any aspect of IR you’re an idiot. If your daughter was taught by a former player and doesn’t use the term IR you’re a complete moron. Other than that the IR crowd is very open minded and civil.

My experience is completely different. I haven't seen one person care what it is called. Call it whip/forearm fire/elbow snap no one cares. A name is just a name. As for people being morons, if anyone looks at video of good pitchers and walks away thinking that there are not some basic similarities to good pitching and does not see that what is commonly advocated here as IR matches those good mechanics then I think moron is a nice description of that persons mental capacity.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
PLEASE, can someone who believes in HE, and that it is used at any speeds over 49, please STEP UP to the plate?

Everyone and their mothers and DADS, every pitching coach I know, ALL teach HE. NONE has even heard of IR.

YET none will give proof of the quality of HE mechanics.

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I honestly didn't know why HE was considered bad. I never really thought about it. What is the recommended follow through? Just whatever the arm naturally does?

CB, I think of it more in the context of pulling and whipping (adducting) versus pushing and bowing (extension away from the body).

You want pull whip, not push and bowl.

Feb 7, 2013
You guys fell for the Troll's nonsense. Not worth even responding to Genius, OIlF, Screwball, or any other alias.

It's been proven time and time agains that HE mechanics are not used by any decent pitcher so no use arguing with members who are just being contrarian to start drama. Move on, nothing to see here....

BTW, if you are going to reference the most famous female pitcher in the world, it's "Jennie" Finch.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There's a picture of Jenny Finch doing HE on the AZ wall, but she only throws that FB in warm up and practice, while doing drills. So there you have it. Me personally, I have seen a 55mph HE pitcher. That is fine for HS, but she quit because her arm bothered her and she had no movement on her pitches. She is now an all-Met shortstop instead, so not a bad outcome.

So there you have it. More classic OLIF/Screwball nonsense based on a single irrelevant picture while she conveniently disregards the millions of frames of video that conclusively prove otherwise. Look, HE is more than just a finish. Good grief!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd