Having to deal with "THAT" parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
This particular parent was super negitive. Talked badly about every kid and scrutinized my every single move. Why did he have her steal, why did he ask her to slap, he knows she sucks at playing OF, etc......all weekend long. When this person was asked to keep their opinions to themselves it only amplified the problem. "I paid my money, I'll say whatever I want"...they said.
They constantly wanted me to scream and yell at these kids on every single pitch on both sides of the ball. Expected me to tell every player where her play was on every play. I only "yell" at them when they make an absolute bone headed play in a position that I know they're familiar with. Again this is a new group and I moved them around alot. I wanted to see who could do what and where? It was a fall tournament, non sanctioned, dress up and play ball in costumes kind of fun tourney. We're not talking about a qualifier here.
Have fun with your new friends, learn some values like hard work, discipline, accountability, and my personal favorite attention to detail. I remind them always to have fun. I've personally never had a lot of fun getting publicly embarrassed by the same adults that I was supposed to be looking up to back when I was in their shoes.
Again on my team it's really simple. Golden Rule....always...that means EVERYBODY including the parents

And this is exactly why rule #1 in my player and parent contract says there is a zero tolerance policy in effect for drama. If they cause drama by making negative or derogatory remarks about other players or parents, it's BUH-BYE with no refund. Personally, if it were me in your place, it would be "don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you," for them. There's about a 75% chance that this is only going to get worse as time goes on...even if something's said by you. Then again, there's a 75% chance that they'll be offended by you saying something and laying down the law and they'll quit. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
On DD's MS team, we had only one TB girl. Her dad seemed to think she was the best player ever and constantly coached her when she played catcher. He would try to tell her what pitches to call instead of letting our coach do it.

Last game of the season and we were w/o our #1 pitcher so they let this girl pitch the first inning. Kept throwing illegal pitches, the coach kept telling her what she was doing wrong but she kept doing it. 2-3 runs scored off walks/illegal pitches. So they eventually pulled her.

Her dad was pissed. Went to the dugout - started getting his daughter's gear (this is the first inning). Coach said if you leave, she's not in the line-up and he was like fine and just left. Glad that we'll probably never play with this girl again (though she goes to DD's MS).

I just feel bad for her having to put up with that - it's not going to make other teams want her on their team.

Nov 29, 2009
I have also found the more kids are scared of making a mistake (because they get yelled at, punished, etc for every little thing) the more they become afraid to take risks on the field. Risk is necessary, it's where all the really killer plays come from.

I always tell my players "If you're going to make a mistake, make a big one. That way everyone knows they're trying!"

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
On DD's MS team, we had only one TB girl. Her dad seemed to think she was the best player ever and constantly coached her when she played catcher. He would try to tell her what pitches to call instead of letting our coach do it.

Last game of the season and we were w/o our #1 pitcher so they let this girl pitch the first inning. Kept throwing illegal pitches, the coach kept telling her what she was doing wrong but she kept doing it. 2-3 runs scored off walks/illegal pitches. So they eventually pulled her.

Her dad was pissed. Went to the dugout - started getting his daughter's gear (this is the first inning). Coach said if you leave, she's not in the line-up and he was like fine and just left. Glad that we'll probably never play with this girl again (though she goes to DD's MS).

I just feel bad for her having to put up with that - it's not going to make other teams want her on their team.
And honestly, this poor girl is probably mortified by dad's behavior. We don't give our girls enough credit for being able to cope with whatever issues the game is throwing them - which is counterintuitive, because it's why we want them to play in the first place.

My daughter asked me, first nicely and then with more pressing firm reminders, to let her handle her situations and keep my yap shut.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is going to sound so bad ....

Depending on thier involvement they can yell at out Team a little bit, if they yell at other Team and I hear it they are leaving game.

Same with giving Ump hard time, I get paid big bucks and one of the job perks. If a parent is giving ump hard time and I notice they need to shutup or leave.

And yes I have yelled at our parents and asked one to take a walk and shut the *** up or leave.

I get to games 1st, leave last and easy to get a hold of outside of that.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2015
I would love to have my daughter play for a coach like you! Well done Coach James!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well Coach James, I believe you know what really needs to be done. If it's this bad during a no pressure Tournament (and the 1st one at that), then what is it going to be like during a Qualifer?

You really need to say G'Day to them.... although I'm sure there will be some interesting reads next Summer if you keep them :)

Feb 7, 2013
I have always respected those parents who watch the games from well behind the left field fence and don't get caught up in the drama.

Jun 12, 2015
If I didn't keep score I think I might have watched from center field on our last team. We had a few really unhappy parents over the course of the spring and man, the negativity was palpable. I remember one time my older daughter (12) came out of the shaded tent area to sit with me in the sun watching the game. Said it was because she couldn't stand to sit there and listen to them complain anymore. It only takes one to change the whole feel of a team. Sometimes you don't even realize it til they're gone, then it's like, wow, softball is so pleasant now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA