Having to deal with "THAT" parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
If they make a mental mistake you need to make them run a lap around the park, I am talking about the parent.

Each team seems a little bit different and being a new Team they might not know what you expect. Need to stop poor behavior right at the start or it will be a long season for you and maybe everyone.

Make the parents run!!!!! Love that.
Having been on both sides - a coach and a spectator parent- I say kill the beast now.
I also have noticed that many teams that have drill sergeants and correct every single little play - only turn players into robots. The players never learn to play with ball sense. What it sounds like to me...... you correct what needs to be corrected and let players develop ball sense for the rest. Good for you and the players.

Now make those parents run laps. Lol

Jun 12, 2015
I have also found the more kids are scared of making a mistake (because they get yelled at, punished, etc for every little thing) the more they become afraid to take risks on the field. Risk is necessary, it's where all the really killer plays come from.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
It seems to be that the goal should be for the player to be able to identify the issue herself and what to do to fix it. A great coach will eventually be able to say, "OK, what happened there?" and she should be able to answer. Teaching the girl how to think critically and make an adjustment is probably the greatest gift a coach can give (same goes for teachers and, actually, parents). No yelling required.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Unless the child has some type of endorsement deal or getting paid, allow them to make the mistakes. That is the only way they will get better, learn by mistakes. By a certain age, they don't need a parent to tell them what they did wrong….they already know. Keep bringing up flaws will only turn them into a a player who always go for the safe play.

Feb 17, 2015
normal IL
We had the same issue two years ago, parent "A" just berated every kid, now his DD was probably the most athletic on the team but bad body language and dad starting in on every player. We cut her 2 years ago and have never looked back. Set expectation at first parent meeting that acting like "that parent" will not be tolerated period. Parents can be the biggest cancer on a team.
just my two cents

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It it easy to send out rules and have parents and players sign them, enforcement is entirely different thing.

I am too busy yelling the ump that I miss most things from stands unless it is brought to my attention and a lot just gets just loud enough for other parents to hear.

DW and some other people I trust, I am not chasing ghosts. (Hollowed thyme)

Nov 25, 2015
The Frozen Tundra
Not sure which is worst the loud ones or quiet ones. Have had some only say things to other parents quietly, but never come to me if there are problems or concerns. But after season demand a sit down with person in charge of whole program.

Main reason I don't coach anymore. Have no problem with complaints. Just cant stand the not coming to me or the :I'll complain to everyone who will listen but not the person they have the issue with:.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I have also found the more kids are scared of making a mistake (because they get yelled at, punished, etc for every little thing) the more they become afraid to take risks on the field. Risk is necessary, it's where all the really killer plays come from.

Most of us here played sports as kids. We all had coaches like the one described here. How many of us really loved those coaches? How many of us played better with those coaches?

There's no one right way to coach, and I'm sure some people respond better to the yelling, but my experience as a player and in limited time as a coach tells me it's very few people who fit that bill.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This particular parent was super negitive. Talked badly about every kid and scrutinized my every single move. Why did he have her steal, why did he ask her to slap, he knows she sucks at playing OF, etc......all weekend long. When this person was asked to keep their opinions to themselves it only amplified the problem. "I paid my money, I'll say whatever I want"...they said.
They constantly wanted me to scream and yell at these kids on every single pitch on both sides of the ball. Expected me to tell every player where her play was on every play. I only "yell" at them when they make an absolute bone headed play in a position that I know they're familiar with. Again this is a new group and I moved them around alot. I wanted to see who could do what and where? It was a fall tournament, non sanctioned, dress up and play ball in costumes kind of fun tourney. We're not talking about a qualifier here.
Have fun with your new friends, learn some values like hard work, discipline, accountability, and my personal favorite attention to detail. I remind them always to have fun. I've personally never had a lot of fun getting publicly embarrassed by the same adults that I was supposed to be looking up to back when I was in their shoes.
Again on my team it's really simple. Golden Rule....always...that means EVERYBODY including the parents

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This particular parent was super negitive. Talked badly about every kid and scrutinized my every single move. Why did he have her steal, why did he ask her to slap, he knows she sucks at playing OF, etc......all weekend long. When this person was asked to keep their opinions to themselves it only amplified the problem. "I paid my money, I'll say whatever I want"...they said.

Ugh... nope. They can either say what they want from CF where no one can hear them or I will happily hand their money back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish