Good proof to wear a mask, Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So on TV this week they televised several games from the TCS sparkler tourney in Colorado and many of the pitchers who are committed to D1 schools were wearing face masks. At one point, Amanda Scarborough was asked how she felt about pitchers wearing masks and she said the players should wear them if it makes them feel safer and gives them the confidence to perform better. Kudos to Amanda for her progressive position on face masks. The stigma of wearing a mask is slowly going away. I'm sure 10 years from now it won't even be a topic of discussion since all infielders will be wearing them and will be as commonplace as wearing a batting helmet.

I believe that 1B(?) on the NPF Dallas Charge wears one.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Had no idea masks were designed to be single use products. Good to know.

It's sacrificial protection - like a bicycle or motorcycle helmet. Once it receives an impact hard enough to affect its structural integrity, it needs to be replaced.

Jun 12, 2015
It's sacrificial protection - like a bicycle or motorcycle helmet. Once it receives an impact hard enough to affect its structural integrity, it needs to be replaced.

Or car seats. If you have a child in a car seat and have an accident, you have to replace the car seat.

Feb 7, 2013
Or car seats. If you have a child in a car seat and have an accident, you have to replace the car seat.

And what a scam that is. When my kids were in car seats and my DW got into a couple of minor fender benders she felt the need to replace the car seats that were $200 a pop! Really doubt the integrity of the car seats were compromised by a 5mph "crash".

Jun 12, 2015
I've only been in one accident with car seats involved and the at fault driver's insurance covered the replacement.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2013
I've only been in one accident with car seats involved and the at fault driver's insurance covered the replacement.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yes, but ultimately we as a collective group, pay for them with higher insurance premiums, deductibles. I'm all about safety but these car seat manufacturers scare us newbie parents about our kids safety.

Now if we are talking face masks, that's a different story : )

Nov 18, 2013
I've never seen anything to indicate the masks are designed to be replaced after being struck. That doesn't sound right unless the mask shows signs of damage. I've never known them to crumple as easily as the OP suggests either. DD wore one for several years and it was very sturdy.

Dec 19, 2012
I googled "dented Rip-It mask" and came up with nothing. Turl, maybe your buddy needs to upload a pic of the mask for all to see. If the mask truly failed at the 10u level, people should know, especially Rip-It.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06