Good proof to wear a mask, Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What about chest guards . . . do pitchers wear them at higher levels? Was at an 8U tournament recently and even at that level the ball can come off the bat very fast, plus the field is smaller . . .

I know a girl (18 years old rising college freshman who is committed) who refuses to wear a mask at third, took one off the face earlier this year. Wears a mouth piece, still no face mask. But never plays without a heart guard.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What about chest guards . . . do pitchers wear them at higher levels? Was at an 8U tournament recently and even at that level the ball can come off the bat very fast, plus the field is smaller . . .

Plus at the younger ages there is less muscle and other tissue between where the ball might hit and the heart

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Not quite throwing the BS flag on this, but find that very hard to believe. If it fails at the anemic speeds of 10U the product would be woefully inadequate at the 16U/18U level and catastrophic failures would be common. Never heard of a Rip-It or any other mask failing.

I agree. Rip-Its are well made, and I have trouble believing that an 11-inch ball hit by a 10yo would be able to damage it as described. As Riseball said, a 12-inch ball hit at by older players would routinely produce catastrophic failures. I assume the pitcher was OK after the initial shock, and perhaps mild concussion wore off. I'd like to see the mask.

Oct 25, 2009
I posted this to "I Love Fastpitch Softball" on FB but wanted to share it with others on here because of how scary it was and let any parents or coaches have the link in case they wanted to share it with other coaches/parents/players.

This happened to an opposing pitcher that my daughter's 10U tournament team played this past weekend. Another reason why every pitcher (or corners), 10U or 18U, should think about wearing a face mask. One of our coaches said that the Rip-It mask she had on was dented in so far that the softball still had to have hit her eye. No telling WHAT would have happened without the mask. Sure it will always be a choice and not mandatory . . . . but when they say "it will never happen to me", it probably will.

[video]https://youtu.be/F5hN0YdlRMc[/video]

I'm guessing "dented in so far" actually meant "pushed back so far".

"had to have hit her eye"? Pretty sure her eye would show it.

Jan 23, 2014
That had to be scary to see! A good thing can come out of things like this happening. My dd who is the most experienced on her team was the only one wearing a mask in the fall- her first time playing with the team. Several parents bought their kids masking after seeing my daughter's, but didn't make them wear one. When the Mizzou pitcher was hit, I shared it to our facebook page and again strongly recommended masks for pitchers and corners. Instead all infielders had one at the next tournament and have been wearing it since. Well, except for when the coaches daughter plays 1st. She probably wants a break from a mask since she wears one while catching.
So just for a second stop arguing about the mask and the possible exaggeration of the damage done to it and instead think of the possible damage that would have been done had she not been wearing one.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That had to be scary to see! A good thing can come out of things like this happening. My dd who is the most experienced on her team was the only one wearing a mask in the fall- her first time playing with the team. Several parents bought their kids masking after seeing my daughter's, but didn't make them wear one. When the Mizzou pitcher was hit, I shared it to our facebook page and again strongly recommended masks for pitchers and corners. Instead all infielders had one at the next tournament and have been wearing it since. Well, except for when the coaches daughter plays 1st. She probably wants a break from a mask since she wears one while catching.
So just for a second stop arguing about the mask and the possible exaggeration of the damage done to it and instead think of the possible damage that would have been done had she not been wearing one.

Don't see where anyone has discounted the merits of wearing a mask. However, to your point needless exaggeration in and of itself discounts naturally suspect anecdotal evidence. Isn't it best to allow the merits or the equipment to stand on their own without any exaggeration or drama? After all emotional appeals based on anecdotes are the weakest form of persuasion.

Last edited:

Turl

Loves to watch slappers in action!
May 4, 2015
Central Iowa
Just heard from the pitcher's grandparent that she came out of it with a bad black eye and some headaches since the incident. So that is good to know! Wanted to share.

Mar 1, 2013
Just heard from the pitcher's grandparent that she came out of it with a bad black eye and some headaches since the incident. So that is good to know! Wanted to share.

That's good to know that she's going to be fine.

Feb 7, 2013
So on TV this week they televised several games from the TCS sparkler tourney in Colorado and many of the pitchers who are committed to D1 schools were wearing face masks. At one point, Amanda Scarborough was asked how she felt about pitchers wearing masks and she said the players should wear them if it makes them feel safer and gives them the confidence to perform better. Kudos to Amanda for her progressive position on face masks. The stigma of wearing a mask is slowly going away. I'm sure 10 years from now it won't even be a topic of discussion since all infielders will be wearing them and will be as commonplace as wearing a batting helmet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06