Go or Don't go to Nationals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not debating anything you said, I might even be on board with going even if we lost every game. The actual SB would only be a small part of the trip which I am OK with.

What I am not OK with is the coach changing what the Team is doing after they got all our money and stating that if we did not like it leave.

It does sound like it all worked out for the OP.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
JMO - if a team has a realistic chance of a top 10 finish, I say go to ASA or PGF Nationals (assuming the team qualifies).

Going from San Diego (for example) to Birmingham, Alabama with a team that has one healthy pitcher to (more than likely) go "2 and BBQ" is a waste of money and vacation time...unless you really want to vacation in Birmingham in August (no thanks - no offense to Bama fans :cool:).

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
JMO - if a team has a realistic chance of a top 10 finish, I say go to ASA or PGF Nationals (assuming the team qualifies).

Going from San Diego (for example) to Birmingham, Alabama with a team that has one healthy pitcher to (more than likely) go "2 and BBQ" is a waste of money and vacation time...unless you really want to vacation in Birmingham in August (no thanks - no offense to Bama fans :cool:).

Question: How many teams enter into these Tournaments? I think more than 10 or 12 correct. So in your words, if the team is possibly a top 20 team, but not a top 10 team, then they should just blow off the Nationals?

Qunicy, I agree with you with the either you are going or off the team mentality...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Question: How many teams enter into these Tournaments? I think more than 10 or 12 correct. So in your words, if the team is possibly a top 20 team, but not a top 10 team, then they should just blow off the Nationals?

Qunicy, I agree with you with the either you are going or off the team mentality...

One thing I have always done at nationals is try to calculate our "cost per game". When you add up all of your travel expenses and costs to participate, then divide by the number of games you play to determine your "cost per game". I think a lot of people would cringe at the number, especially if your team goes two-and-out in bracket play. The cost per game is probably 8-10X a typical local tournament and 5-7X a weekend tournament with hotel stays.

While going to Nationals can be a great experience, the biggest advantage I have found over the years is to be able to say "we went to ASA Nationals or PGF Nationals last year" when recruiting players for next season. It is basically an expensive "feather in the cap" of the teams that go.

Mar 26, 2013
Traveling to a true national with teams from all over the country is a great experience for the girls. Our team at 12U and 14U got a good appreciation for the size of their sport and got to know girls from other parts of the country (mainly at their hotel). It can be a real eye-opener for players that are strong in their area to find out where they stack up in the big scheme.

We missed it by staying at home to play in the PGF championship the last 4 years, although playing in Boulder and TC/USA Nats made up for it somewhat.

Regarding the "feather in the cap", it also applies to players and what they can put on their softball resume/profiles. Doing well at top-level national events also helps the girls by getting into the selective showcases and onto the better fields.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego

Every team situation is different. I did not tell anyone to blow off Nationals. If that's what they want, God bless them and best of luck.

But having progressed from 8U rec to 18U gold TB (and now going back to 8U rec since DD is off to college next year), I look back on all the $$ wasted chasing Nationals (mostly because the parents wanted to go) when the players would have been just as happy - and much more competitive - at USSSA World Series or Western Nationals at a closer location.

I'd just like to think I'm just a little wiser and more realistic these days about what's most important - and that's making sure the game is competitive AND fun for the players as well as reasonable for the parents to pay for.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Hello all,
As a newbie here I wanted ask a question and see what the opinions are. My daughter plays on 9U A tournament team, that was formed this past fall. The girls all played against each other in the house league and moved up together. When tryouts were held in August there was the normal team meeting and it was said by the coach 8-10 tournamnets, no league games. He was asked if we would be going to Nationals and he didnt seemed that open to it at the time and said well maybe the year after we will see.

We played in 3 fall 10u tournaments and went as you would predict, we won 2 games in 3 tournaments. The girls were learning to play and it was an experience to build on and eveyone was ok with that. Fast forward to 12-1-14 and the final payment was due for the fees and everyone paid. Now we had a team meeting on 1-3-2015 and the plans for the season come up...now its 12 tournaments more then half are going to require an overnight stay and we are definately going to Nationals. No vote, no discussion with the parents. Coached picked which National we were going to and that was it.

Some families have older boys who are going to Cooperstown and were caught off guard as Nationals were never brought up. So a few parents voiced their concern about what if they cant go since I guess in boys baseball Cooperstown is a big deal. The coach said if you do not go to Nationals he will find a replacement for the girl and she is off the team. They want you to commit to going and it will be fairly expensive...you want my money but not my opinion. Well does this sound right to anyone? #1 no discussion was had. #2 This was all brought up after the final payment due. #3 Should a vote have been done? #4 Can you be removed from a team by not wanting to go to nationals? There is alot of buzz going on now and to me this doesnt seem right? Am I wrong on this?

Long answer.

First welcome to travel ball. Note that travel is in the description. You will become very familiar with your vehicle, restaurants, and hotels. This is more the norm than the exception with travel ball.

With that said, your coach did not approach it correctly. These details should have been expressed at a meeting prior to everyone committing for the season. Collecting commitments and money prior to this disclosure is borderline deception.

"Nationals" are all over the map. Some are nothing more than a larger out of town tournament while others are the real deal. IMO, a new team or lower level team wanting to attend a "National" should go to USFA. They provide a lower level of competition in a location where you can make it a family vacation. PGF is the real deal and a team that attends should expect to see the best of the best. ASA also provides a high level of competition, but the location moves and could be in nowhereville, USA so be prepared for a softball only trip. Not sure about U trip other than they are at ESPN in Orlando and usually face an issue with rain during the scheduled dates.

Jun 29, 2013
Nationals are in my area this year. Are you into wine? We are surrounded by 4 good regions, including Napa (Amador is my favorite, less money, beautiful country, and about 45-55 minutes away). Craft beer? Sacramento is thriving with it. Like the mountains? The Sierra's are an hour away. Ever seen Tahoe? Just 1.5-2 hours from Roseville. The Bay Area is 2 hours from Sacramento in good traffic, The River Cats (Giants AAA team) are home that week against Las Vegas, Giants play the Brewers the first part of the week at At&T and the A's play the Indians in the Coliseum over the weekend.
Can't help you with the team, but if you can handle 100 degree weather pretty much every day you're in Roseville/Sacramento, there are a few things to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00