Go or Don't go to Nationals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
First, I think that 12 tournaments with half requiring hotel stays is to much for 10u.

Second, here is how I made the schedule for my team. Since we have not won a local tournament, all of our tournaments are within an hour to hour and a half drive. When we win local, we MAY travel farther away, but I will limit it to 2 and half to 3 hour drive. I have parents that WANT to travel and do the hotel stays. We need to win first. I do not want to make families pay to travel, hotels, etc and play 3 games. So, with that being said, I would not take a team to Nationals that did not win locally, and not just win games, but win tournaments.

As far as money returns, I would give refunds if the player gets injured, moves suddenly, needs to stop for something not in their control, or if I ask them to leave. You quit and walk, I would not give a refund, especially if we have already started playing tournaments.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
First of all, there really is not enough information to discuss whether 12 tournaments which may or may not require overnight stays is too much. From the information in the OP, for all we know, Bella2005 may live in Laredo, TX and this could be 12 tourneys over 12 months. That being said, I have a real problem with anyone that tells me 'it's my way or the highway.' There are way too many options out there, especially in the TB world, for that kind of attitude.

As for your dilemma, you have to decide what is right for you and your family. Ask and answer these questions honestly to yourself. 1) Can and will this coach improve your DD's skills to the level of play the team is taking on? 2) Can you and your family handle the TB schedule, as currently laid out by the HC, without causing undue financial strain on the family and your current way of life? If the answer to either of these first 2 questions is no, then you have to move on. Whether the HC is right or wrong in anyone's opinion but your own is immaterial because your opinion is the only one that matters.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
First, I think that 12 tournaments with half requiring hotel stays is to much for 10u.

Second, here is how I made the schedule for my team. Since we have not won a local tournament, all of our tournaments are within an hour to hour and a half drive. When we win local, we MAY travel farther away, but I will limit it to 2 and half to 3 hour drive. I have parents that WANT to travel and do the hotel stays. We need to win first. I do not want to make families pay to travel, hotels, etc and play 3 games. So, with that being said, I would not take a team to Nationals that did not win locally, and not just win games, but win tournaments.

As far as money returns, I would give refunds if the player gets injured, moves suddenly, needs to stop for something not in their control, or if I ask them to leave. You quit and walk, I would not give a refund, especially if we have already started playing tournaments.
Although we are 12u this is the approach I have used with our team. Here in southern Illinois there a re a plethora of teams and tournaments. Not as flashy as ASA Nationals but good competition.
This is our 3rd year and we average about 1 hotel stay each year. We've been slowly building our program as we become more successful, but we have yet to win a tournament(got a few 2nd place wins but no 1st). We are a .500 team right now so we do win games. But until we get to where we can win and do it consistently I see no need to travel long distances and tack on the cost of hotel stays.
I did have a parent from another team last year telling every one we weren't a real travel ball team because we don't do a lot of travel. Why travel when we have teams that want to come to our field and play?

Dec 11, 2010
Undergroundga I think you are looking at that right. And if you guys are .500 I think you are finding the right level of competition.

Also, I heard a rumor that there will be a 12u USSSA national in Peoria at the new Louisville Slugger complex that is being built there.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
Pa
First of all, there really is not enough information to discuss whether 12 tournaments which may or may not require overnight stays is too much. From the information in the OP, for all we know, Bella2005 may live in Laredo, TX and this could be 12 tourneys over 12 months.

Good point. I was taking it as 12 tournaments for spring and honestly from the schedule we have here in Maryland which will run from one tournament the last weekend of March till July.

If I lived somewhere where the weather was good enough to do 12 tournaments in 12 months, I would be doing 24 a year. :)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2014
Our first experience with travel ball kind of spoiled us as far as the way the rest of the years have gone. Our 1st parent meeting after the team was pick included a 12 page handout that included all the places we would play, practices, hotels, fund raisers, and Cost per player down to the penny and was discussed with all the parents by the HC. This included the ASA Nationals which that year happened to be in Midland TX and being for the northeast that was a long way away, but we all knew the 1st day of being on the team. We ended up not going to TX due to poor play but just as well. This was by far the best way to know what was expected of us and our daughters before the season got rolling. Since then things have not been as put together as well by any coach my daughter has played for to say the least. As far as Nationals we have been to 3 or 4 unless they are close to home within 8 hours drive time I don't think its worth the time and money, you only play 1 game a day and its a lot of hype but the girls have a good time which I guess is most important. IMO try to get as much information form the HC when you get on a team and talk to parents that have been there the past years that way there are little or no surprises.

Nov 18, 2013
First of all, there really is not enough information to discuss whether 12 tournaments which may or may not require overnight stays is too much. From the information in the OP, for all we know, Bella2005 may live in Laredo, TX and this could be 12 tourneys over 12 months.

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds crazy to have a 10U softball team play twelve tournaments, but depending on where you live that might be the norm. Playing half your tournamnets out of town at a young age sounds equally crazy at 10U, but it happens in sports like hockey and basketball all the time. Why not softball?

It would also help to know which nationals we’re talking about. There’s so many regional and even local “nationals” that asking to attend may not be that out of hand. The coach is being portrayed as a hard @ss, but we’re only hearing one side of it. DD has been on teams where other sports came first or Nationals meant more of a vacation than playing ball and it’s never a good mix. It sounds like this team just isn’t a good fit.

Jan 12, 2015
I want to thank everyone for their opinions and thoughts. We have decided to part ways with the current team after three conversations with the coach. DD did accept a position from a team she tried out for in Aug (which in retrospect probably should have went there first) Unfortunately these things happen but after spending 2 years in their developmental teams at years 7 and 8 having this happen at 9 makes it all the harder to part ways. I liked the coach, he coached my daughter at 8u it was fantastic now at 9u something changed and its very unfortunate. Softball is a long road and we parted without yelling and screaming it just didnt work out. Again thanks to everyone on here who gave their opinion it helped more then you can imagine.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I did have a parent from another team last year telling every one we weren't a real travel ball team because we don't do a lot of travel. Why travel when we have teams that want to come to our field and play?

TB means that you are no longer playing REC ball and you are free to pick and choose which team you play for, and the mentality of the team changes from equal playing time to earned playing time. There are no prerequisites on the number of miles driven or a minimum number of hotel stays.....

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
One thing nobody mentioned is the experience for the girls. Back in 14U we were a .500 team, we didn't qualify for ASA/USA Nationals, but we went to Western Nationals. I told the parents from the start that we probably wouldn't win many games, but the experience for the girls would be great. I also told them to think of it as a group vacation. We ended up winning only 1 game, but as I said the experience for these girls was huge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles