Friday check in! Feb 27,2015

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
All right my first Friday check-in! Let's see... DD#1 has decided that the coldest weekend in Fedurary is when she has to move across town into her new apartment. I know, I know. I want some good WI cheese and lots of tiny violins to go with my whine about the weather. At least I'm not in Boston.

Just got a call from DD#2's hitting coach, he finally decided to come back from a month in FL. Really, the nerve, thinking you can be retired and just go south when it gets cold around here.

Reminded DD#2 that she has 15 days left to study for SAT. Got frowned at for my trouble. Where's the love I say?

Have to get my mom ready this weekend for her hip replacement surgery next week. She's going around telling everyone that she's going to "get her boogie on" with her new hip. Parents embarassing their kids has no age limits.

Good luck to your mother. My mother had hip replacement surgery last summer. Best thing that ever happened to her.

I once had to move to a new apartment in February. We got a cheap rent on an apartment in Brooklyn because it was in really disgusting shape. We rented as of Feb 1, and spent 2 weeks cleaning it out. We bought a new, expensive, bed, and had it delived to the new apartment. In mid-February, I rented a van, and my brother-in-law helped us move in. It was snowing, and my wife was VERY pregnant. Finally, around midnight, we got everything straightened out in the apartment, all ready for human habitation, and went to bed.

OMINOUS FORESHADOWING: Right when we went to bed, DW tells me to be careful, since she hasn't had time to buy a matress pad yet.

A few minutes later, her water broke. I called a car service, dropped DS and DD #1 off at the in-laws close to Chinatown, and took DW to the hospital in Manhattan. After the most painful delivery possible, DD #2 was born. On the way home from the hospital, it took a while to find a taxi driver willing to take us to the Chinatown area. (Illegal, BTW!)

Yes, I feel sorry for you for having to move in February. I made sure DD #3 brought her violin home. :cool:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Well DD's college team had a weather cancellation this weekend so I hope that means she will finally get some circle time, for a change, in an inner-squad scrimmage (struggling lil ole freshie as she is....).

I am concerned that DD's new HC may not be seeing the value in her strengths (rise and working around this primary pitch) and forcing her into a standard pitch selection scheme. Having a reflection moment again it just keeps amazing me on HC's at all levels and ages not able to recognize a pitchers strengths and/or not be able to hear a pitcher communicating to them on how they could be more effective for a team. Jury is still out right now though. A new HC is a tough situation I am sure.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Tonight is DD basketball practice, I have a dinner meeting, tomorrow morning is DS baseball practice, tomorrow afternoon is DD last basketball game of the winter schedule, Sunday take DD and her basketball team to a Pitt ladies Basketball game then out for pizza. Oh and DS wants to go play airsoft at some point.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
We finished up out TB winter season last weekend.

High School practices start on Monday and I will make my entrance in to the world of coaching HS softball!!!

I am really looking forward to it!!!

Sep 18, 2011
Myself and a few of the DFP Technical Hitting posters are going on a fishing trip.
fishing.jpg

Should be a 'nice' friendly trip.

Yikes!! Why do I get the feeling that FiveFrameSwing is going to end up like Luca Brasi??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcwLvUy-Og

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2014
Heading up to Akron for the 10U Spano Dome tournament. This is the first we'll have played as a full team since the fall (we did play some split squad indoor games earlier in the winter), so I'm looking forward to see how we do. Unfortunately, it looks as if I may be driving home in a snow storm on Sunday. Hopefully, it will arrive early in the day and we'll play late in the day!

My DD is learning the sacrifices of travel ball. She recently won her school spelling bee and it just figures the county spelling bee is the weekend we're in Indy - the only softball weekend tournament we have between now and May! And last week, her season ending basketball tournament had to be postponed because of snow and it was of course scheduled for this weekend. Poor kid. She knew she'd have to miss things for softball, but we never figured it would be two such important things right out of the gate in her first year of travel ball!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Rain is threatening Opening Day ceremonies and games for our rec league. My DD is twitchy with anticipation for the start of the new season.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Myself and a few of the DFP Technical Hitting posters are going on a fishing trip.
fishing.jpg

Should be a 'nice' friendly trip.

Am I still riding shotgun or have I been demoted to the back seat? OK, please tell me that you don't have a 3rd row suv. I can't handle getting in and out that far back in the SUV.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Well DD's college team had a weather cancellation this weekend so I hope that means she will finally get some circle time, for a change, in an inner-squad scrimmage (struggling lil ole freshie as she is....).

I am concerned that DD's new HC may not be seeing the value in her strengths (rise and working around this primary pitch) and forcing her into a standard pitch selection scheme. Having a reflection moment again it just keeps amazing me on HC's at all levels and ages not able to recognize a pitchers strengths and/or not be able to hear a pitcher communicating to them on how they could be more effective for a team. Jury is still out right now though. A new HC is a tough situation I am sure.

I took a look at the roster: 18 ladies, 8 of them freshmen, I think. I hope for everyone's sake this is just part of the process of everyone getting to know each other.

I'm in a Devil's Advocate kind of mood today, so please take whatever I say in Devil's Advocate mode with a grain of salt---

Start Devils Advocate mode:
Some of the team's she will be facing this spring have excellent hitters. For example, Wisconsin has some great hitters who can really ride a rise ball. Now, the stud 3B they had last year, who could plant a juicy rise ball into Lake Mendota, has graduated. but still, some of those ladies can HIT!

Even in the HS level, some of the local girls learned how to hit Nicole Newman's rise ball, and you know how good HER rise ball is. (One of her last playoff games was a 5-inning run rule, faced 15 batters, 15 K). She did better against some local teams as a freshman than as a senior, even though she was much beter as a senior. It's just that some of the girls in her conference took the time to learn how to hit a riseball. Even if it took them a few years.

Perhaps the coach wants your DD to work on a more varied approach, for more ground balls?
End Devil's Advocate Mode.

I hope this all works out well for your DD. i hope her senior year you have a running thread about your DD blowing away the competition. And, as much as it pains me to say this, good luck to your DD when she plays the Badgers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi