Fractional scholarships can complicate the decision making process...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Don't be afraid to look at DIII schools if they fit your academic needs -

NO - they don't offer scholarships but a lot of them will help structure grants and funding and such to make them competitive with Di and Dii schools - I have seem many cases where kids got better deals with Diii than D1 and Dii could offer.

Creative funding for D-III is great.

Since I have 2 kids in college now, that means DS gets more financial aid. He chose a D-III school with a great rowing program, Milwaukee School of Engineering, over a state school with no rowing, UW Milwaukee. For his first couple of years, it was a little more expensive at MSOE. With DD 1 in college, the financial aid package is better, so he winds up paying about the same or less. AND, he gets to row. This year he got to row at Waco, Columbus (for the conference championship), Philly (for a big race there) and near Princeton for the Nationals. Lot of stuff he wouldn't have gotten to do at UW Milwaukee. Not to mention all the friends he made on the team.

Dec 7, 2011
In both instances, several coaches told us to go where our kid thought they would be happy if they suffered a career ending injury the first week of practice.

This quote resonates huge with me now that my DD has been a college SB "gypsy" for her first two years. It's been an emotional struggle no doubt. Priorities had been 1. "Paid-for" school, 2. the SB experience, 3. How she think she would like the school.

After her freshman year DD did get focused on her academic-life-goal and knew she needed to find a new school that supported pre-med. She went from a mid-D1 to JUCO. She has also learned who she is and what she wants in a school and an environment. So this coming school year she is rolling the dice on a big SEC school and saying to herself "I am going to try walking on to this big SEC SB team and if they don't see me worthy to be part of the team well it's a sign from god to go be the best doctor I can be in life".

I am looking forward to her assessment on the big SEC school experience. (Not looking forward to her first college debt ringing up though....)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This quote resonates huge with me now that my DD has been a college SB "gypsy" for her first two years. It's been an emotional struggle no doubt. Priorities had been 1. "Paid-for" school, 2. the SB experience, 3. How she think she would like the school.

After her freshman year DD did get focused on her academic-life-goal and knew she needed to find a new school that supported pre-med. She went from a mid-D1 to JUCO. She has also learned who she is and what she wants in a school and an environment. So this coming school year she is rolling the dice on a big SEC school and saying to herself "I am going to try walking on to this big SEC SB team and if they don't see me worthy to be part of the team well it's a sign from god to go be the best doctor I can be in life".

I am looking forward to her assessment on the big SEC school experience. (Not looking forward to her first college debt ringing up though....)

Please keep us posted on how things go and good luck! Are you able to tell us which school? Please tell me we did not loose a DFP's DD to the "dark side" of the force....Alabama

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Sounds like someone grew up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA