How much responsibility does a high school coach have in the recruiting process now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I get a kick out of the HS coaches are useless in this process. (I know this is not a direct quote but we get the meaning, and yes I defend HS coaches.)

My answer, for what it is worth to those open minded enough to read this, every situation is different.

Yes, you have the die hard TB players and that upper level of athlete that is able to go to showcases and the national tournaments to be seen by the college coaches that attend them. Their TB coaches have contacts and can help them make contact with the schools they are interested in.

Then there are the local level travel teams that all their players play HS ball (I know, how dare they waste their time.) Their TB coaches can help BUT their HS coaches can help too. I have personally helped players make contacts with schools that they are interested in and even find others. Some of my best contacts are other HS coaches that have other college contacts.

We also have some athletes in our rural area that are three sport athletes and do not play any TB but want to pursue softball in college. Since they don't have any of the greatest softball coaches in the world, that being TB coaches, I work hard to find them a school that is interested and might be the fright fit.

So, like I said, every situation is different and some HS coaches can help with the process. It never hurts to ask for help. You may find that the HS coach doesn't know what to do but they could surprise you.
You bring up a great point. I had a young lady who wanted to go to universities that were out of her parent's ability to pay. I asked her if she knew anything about this out-of-state school that I knew needed a player for her position. She had never heard of them. I called a HS coaching buddy whose daughter was playing that position and was about to graduate. I told him about my player and he knew her. He called his DD's college coach who called me and the rest is history. My HS player had a blast and set several school records while getting the degree that she wanted. Her mom and dad were excited and found her college experience affordable.

Nov 15, 2019
So, like I said, every situation is different and some HS coaches can help with the process. It never hurts to ask for help. You may find that the HS coach doesn't know what to do but they could surprise you.
We were fortunate and had a high school coach that was very interested in my daughters recruiting process. I don't know if she had many college connections herself, but she knew what schools my daughter was talking to and she contacted dd's top choice school and had a great conversation with the coach. She also wrote a great letter of recommendation to admissions describing my daughter's character traits.

All that said, to the OP, the responsibility for the recruiting process belongs to you and your daughter. If any of her coaches offer to help along the way, consider that a bonus. Make sure you are up to date on the best ways to get recruited because not all coaches are, and some give out bad info.

May 20, 2016
Anyone that can help is a bonus. But as said before it's the parents and the athlete that will really be the determining factor in the long run. Do not rely on other people though, i've found that adults are very disappointing a lot of the time.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Put me in the boat that says a HS coach can help with the recruiting process in some cases. My dd's HS coach played SS for a team in the SEC conference. Very knowledgeable coach and does have contacts in the softball world. Daughter's HS coach has been helping with the recruiting process.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Responsibility? The answer would be none. However, generalizations about how much help a HS coach can be are just that. A well established HS coach with a successful program could know lots of relevant people...more than the kid's TB coach.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles