Fixing long fly balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It sounds like you believe she is leaning back to lift the ball. I believe the lean is a result of her trying to put more power into the swing.
A little lean back at contact:
6197d1406049479-fixing-long-fly-balls-image.jpg

But after contact and follow through:
6198d1406049516-fixing-long-fly-balls-image.jpg

More head lean back:
6199d1406049583-fixing-long-fly-balls-image.jpg

I see the hitter leaning back to get 'more power' into her swing. More 'push' from her lean back.
Using the pole on the left side of the screen for point of reference.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would suggest the problem is not the mechanics, it is the mindset. So how often do you practice hitting hard line drives to the gap? Hard shots up the middle? On the ground behind the runner? If you go to the plate swinging for the fence you will get with HR's or long outs. She needs to learn to adjust based on the situation. If you do not practice situational hitting, don't expect to see it in a game. This is the natural evolution of a young hitter. She has skills, now she needs to learn what to do when. At the elite level it is called discipline. :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
5 pages in and we are still diagnosing an issue based on a couple of stills?

Get some video posted on youtube already! :)

Jan 24, 2009
Rise nailed what phreak was hinting at.

I wonder if this kid, and/or Daddy, is enamoured with the long ball. If OTF is the goal/intent/mindset every PA, it severely limits productive at bats.

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. (Seeger citing Ecclesiastes)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Rise nailed what phreak was hinting at.

I wonder if this kid, and/or Daddy, is enamoured with the long ball. If OTF is the goal/intent/mindset every PA, it severely limits productive at bats.

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. (Seeger citing Ecclesiastes)

Cannot help but wonder how many of these long fly balls come with 2 outs with runners in scoring position? There is a time and a place to take a "me swing" and "find the barrel". But you have to be more than willing to take a "team swing" and execute appropriately. This is a concept that is foreign to many younger players, but is integral to playing in college where the long fly ball with 2 outs and runners at 2nd and 3rd will send you to the bench just a quick as taking a called 3rd strike.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA