Fixing long fly balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Having trouble getting video to load but here is a 3 pic sequence...
6197d1406049479-fixing-long-fly-balls-image.jpg

Can we get a frame or 2 before this sequence?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm seeing the telltale signs that the hands and barrel are dropping early in the swing pattern creating long hand travel and a significantly upward barrel path, which is her big contributor to the ball flight pattern. I don't mind the rear shoulder coming down, but the hands need to stay up by the shoulder longer as the barrel turns to contact.

I would really love to see video of her entire swing.

Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Notice how long Mig's hands stay near the rear shoulder as the torso turns, and the barrel pivots around the hands. Hand travel is short and direct.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm seeing the telltale signs that the hands and barrel are dropping early in the swing pattern creating long hand travel and a significantly upward barrel path, which is her big contributor to the ball flight pattern
Agree.
I would really love to see video of her entire swing.
Agree.

I'm guessing the ball was pitched higher and slow and what we are seeing the ball is now on it's downward path.

Jul 22, 2014
This was not a slow pitcher. Lately she has faced slower pitching though.

I see what you mean about the hands staying high and in. I really didn't think she was dropping her shoulder. That I would recognize. I could tell it had more to do with her arms/hands and follow through. The big thing...how to 'correct it' without screwing her up? She's hitting solid. I like some of the tee/toss suggestions. Thanks!

Jess

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I thought the winky was a dead give away about my intent. Clearly, this is another case where a sarcasm font would have made things more clear.

My bad! On my screen it showed up below the line and to the left. I didn't see it. Never could see low and inside very well.

Oct 25, 2009
She has a nice swing, I would tinker carefully. The Cabrera advice is great. Another thing I would do is have her practice MOST of her hits to right field. Practicing hitting to right field will give her a much better understanding (feeling) of where the bat head is during her swings.

Word of warning, though. When she first starts hitting to right field most everything will be a slice and/or pop fly. But the more she does it the more the hits will turn into line drive gappers. Trust me on this, the hits WILL turn into hard gappers.

Find and read what Cabrera has to say about practicing opposite field. Very important to this day in maintaining his swing.

PS: A few buckets of balls a day (approx. 75 balls) is recommended. But seeing the results of opposite field practice will happen within the first two or three buckets. She MUST let the ball get deep and keep the hands in tight until she swings to be able to drive it to right field. She will try to drop the bat head to accomplish the right field hit in the beginning. She must experiment with the bat head feeling too level. And then success.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA