Fixing long fly balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
denyitcab_zps1302aeab.gif

That's what I said. It looks like the head moves back more on the lower pitch than on the higher one! :D

May 3, 2014
That was my point - she is intentionally trying to lift everything. The OP is looking for suggestions to level out the ball flight. I would start with a more stable head going into contact.

I noticed that, also. I believe it is the result of the swing, though, not the cause. IOW, I believe it is the result of her intentionally trying to lift it. In itself, not a flaw. But she also needs to learn to hit line drives, ground balls, etc., when called for.

A lot of players (most?) have never been taught how to hit on demand. I hear people talking about hitting opposite field, for example. I see far fewer actually teach it. Same for fly balls. I recall very few teaching how to hit fly balls—quite the opposite, in fact. A player needs to be able to execute what is needed to produce runs. If a coach wants a sac fly the player must be able to reasonably execute. If they've never been taught and practiced a skill how can they be expected to execute that skill?

This player has a pretty nice looking fence swing. Keep that ability, but add to it!

Oct 25, 2009
That was my point - she is intentionally trying to lift everything. The OP is looking for suggestions to level out the ball flight. I would start with a more stable head going into contact.

Not sure how a more stable head would stop someone from intentionally trying to lift everything. I suggest trying techniques other than lifting if the lifting is undesired.

The key word is intent. If it was unintentional that would call for a different solution. If she's doing it on purpose and doesn't want to be doing it the solution would be to try something else.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I might try setting up a tee about 3' 4' away from a fence. Have your DD hit balls into the fence. See if balls go high, low or straight into the fence. Adjust as needed. A lot can be learned about a swing by just hitting into a fence. Learned that from Straightleg, Howard/Hitter and Sbfamily.

Learning from the flight of batted balls off tee and front toss is underrated, IMO. Although I avoid fences. They're not designed to take that punishment. But I guess it's not always easy to find a hitting net, cage or entire field.

May 3, 2014
Have you ever hit defensive practice and tried to lift the ball high for pop ups? What does your head do? How about when you try and hit grounders or line drives - does your head move in the same manner?

Not sure how a more stable head would stop someone from intentionally trying to lift everything. I suggest trying techniques other than lifting if the lifting is undesired.

The key word is intent. If it was unintentional that would call for a different solution. If she's doing it on purpose and doesn't want to be doing it the solution would be to try something else.

Oct 25, 2009
Have you ever hit defensive practice and tried to lift the ball high for pop ups? What does your head do? How about when you try and hit grounders or line drives - does your head move in the same manner?

Again, I think you're talking about the result of an action—not the cause of the action. My head may lean more backward if I try to lift it high but I would not lean my head back to begin the swing.

It sounds like you believe she is leaning back to lift the ball. I believe the lean is a result of her trying to put more power into the swing.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Have you heard of backwards chaining?

Again, I think you're talking about the result of an action—not the cause of the action. My head may lean more backward if I try to lift it high but I would not lean my head back to begin the swing.

It sounds like you believe she is leaning back to lift the ball. I believe the lean is a result of her trying to put more power into the swing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA