Fixing long fly balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2014
It is so funny you said this about right field. Before you posted, I told my daughter about her hands and she immediately told me that it is because she is trying to hit the ball to right field. She was taught to try and take slower pitchers to right field (makes you wait on the ball). Maybe that is part of the problem.

Oct 25, 2009
It is so funny you said this about right field. Before you posted, I told my daughter about her hands and she immediately told me that it is because she is trying to hit the ball to right field. She was taught to try and take slower pitchers to right field (makes you wait on the ball). Maybe that is part of the problem.

I added a PS above. Being able to wait is a major plus! Don't throw away the opposite field practice—it is one of the best things you can do off of a tee or front toss. It's also one of the drills batters hate until they see what it does for them. Wait til you hear the whole team groaning/whining while doing this drill.

Jul 22, 2014
I agree... My daughter couldn't hit slow pitching before she was taught this. It has really helped her timing.

Thanks...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This was not a slow pitcher. Lately she has faced slower pitching though.

I see what you mean about the hands staying high and in. I really didn't think she was dropping her shoulder. That I would recognize. I could tell it had more to do with her arms/hands and follow through. The big thing...how to 'correct it' without screwing her up? She's hitting solid. I like some of the tee/toss suggestions. Thanks!

Jess

Show her video of herself, and video of a model swing (I use Mig a lot) as a basis of comparison. Understanding that the barrel turns rearward first (watch the direction of travel of the tip of the barrel at the start of the swing), with the hands as the pivot point, is a big step towards a better pattern with short hand travel. With my 9yo DD (also a hand-dropper), the cue I'm using is "keep your hands at your shoulder longer". It's going to be a tough habit to break.

Watch the direction of travel of the tip of the barrel, and how the barrel pivots around the hands, getting whipped through contact.
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

Great resource...http://noontimebaseball.com/

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
The still pics show her head moving back pretty substantially which looks pretty but creates a steeper angle up through the ball. Watch Cabrera's head. Now go back and look at the 3 stills and watch how much her head is moving back during the swing.

Oct 25, 2009
The still pics show her head moving back pretty substantially which looks pretty but creates a steeper angle up through the ball. Watch Cabrera's head. Now go back and look at the 3 stills and watch how much her head is moving back during the swing.

I noticed that, also. I believe it is the result of the swing, though, not the cause. IOW, I believe it is the result of her intentionally trying to lift it. In itself, not a flaw. But she also needs to learn to hit line drives, ground balls, etc., when called for.

A lot of players (most?) have never been taught how to hit on demand. I hear people talking about hitting opposite field, for example. I see far fewer actually teach it. Same for fly balls. I recall very few teaching how to hit fly balls—quite the opposite, in fact. A player needs to be able to execute what is needed to produce runs. If a coach wants a sac fly the player must be able to reasonably execute. If they've never been taught and practiced a skill how can they be expected to execute that skill?

This player has a pretty nice looking fence swing. Keep that ability, but add to it!

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH

Looks like the head moves back more on the high pitch and less on the lower one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA