First time coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2010
I am coaching a little league softball team for the first time. Most of the girls are 11-13 yrs old and play on tournament teams. Little league is used for more game practice. I will have one day a week for practice that will last about 1.5 hours.

How should I structure the practice time I have? What drills should I include?

I want to keep it simple. Once we start playing there will be no time for practices, that leaves me with 4-6 practices total.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The way you are describing your Team I would spend most the time you have on fielding. All the different players need to get comfortable with each other on the field.

So setup 3 fielding stations and rotate the players through.

If your p and c are not familiar with each other, same thing, get them working together as soon as you can even if it takes them out of the main practice.

Encourage them to work on hitting outside of practice and only spend a minimal amount of your limited Team practice on hitting.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What is your experience with softball? Do you know a lot or a little?

I remember a boy's LL season where we didn't practice after the games started and I wouldn't ever do that again. Even if they are practicing with their TB teams, they have to learn to mesh as a team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Amy makes good points.
How should I structure the practice time I have?

70 minutes of drills and 20 minutes for games.

What drills should I include?

It is almost impossible to hit enough groundballs and popups to girls. I would find various drills for fielding and do those.

I would get this book: Winning Softball Drills: A Complete Drill Book for Coaches by Diane Baker, and pick some out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06