Feedback on mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
One other thing, the PC we are going to see is Becca Heteniak at Power Line Consulting here in San Diego. I understand she used to pitch for DePaul. Any feedback on her as a PC would be much appreciated.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
One other thing, the PC we are going to see is Becca Heteniak at Power Line Consulting here in San Diego. I understand she used to pitch for DePaul. Any feedback on her as a PC would be much appreciated.

Becca is great. Even though she is not DD's PC, I take DD to her very so often for a sanity check. She has no problem providing a second set of eyes and has given DD some good tips to enhance her movement.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Based on her YouTube videos, she appears to teach the bowling/hello elbow style. She probably has a pretty good handle on the mental/tactical aspects of pitching.

Aug 4, 2011

Not Becca, but apparently another coach at Power Line. Looking at this video on overhand throwing mechanics, it looks like standard parroted drills without regard to understanding what is really happening with the mechanics.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Monthly checkup time- I created these for her current PC (BoardMember) but thought I would throw them out to the group as well. After interviewing 3 PCs we decided on one. She has her fist real lesson with her new PC- Monica Fenton (So Cal Breakers org) for those who may have feedback on her as a PC. We have really only been working on trying to get a better 45 degree at landing and more of a bent elbow on the down motion. Both come and go at this point and are not consistent. Her accuracy has gotten better somehow so I think she has adjusted to the distance and bigger ball for 12 U so I think she's ready for fallball. I'm definitely at the end of my knowledge here, all I am trying to do is arm myself with enough info so I can verify any instruction her PC gives us. From what I can tell she needs two major improvements. 1) more powerful leg drive (and the tweaking necessary to eliminate the little step and mini hop she sometimes takes) 2) more elbow bend from 12 down to 6. gracias. 1 of 3 videos to come

She is super athletic and looks like she throws the ball hard. Yes I agree that she should try and get more elbow bend.
One thing I see that is a little different than my DD is that the left foot steps on and across the powerline. We find it easier to get the hips and shoulders more at a 45 degree angle if the left foot steps just to the left of the powerline, or exactly forward from where it originally starts on the rubber.

Then again we could be doing it totally wrong.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
She is super athletic and looks like she throws the ball hard. Yes I agree that she should try and get more elbow bend.
One thing I see that is a little different than my DD is that the left foot steps on and across the powerline. We find it easier to get the hips and shoulders more at a 45 degree angle if the left foot steps just to the left of the powerline, or exactly forward from where it originally starts on the rubber.

Then again we could be doing it totally wrong.

That's a good suggestion. She has been struggling with getting her foot to 45 degrees at touchdown consistently and since Hal and BM both advise this I kinda think it's important. when she does it she has much better control. Its frightening trying to correct it while I'm catching her...she's almost caught me in the head a couple of times when I haven't looked up quite quick enough.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Every week, she is getting stronger and faster, and you are going the other direction. It is just a matter of time until it hits you.

Bite the bullet and start wearing a face mask. You can pick one up cheap from a place like Play-it-Again Sports. It is a lot cheaper than a trip to the dentist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish