Feedback on mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
i was just updating the thread with a current clip for the sake of the next hapless dad that stumbles along the thread, but I'll take what is freely given. You are 100% right...she is really slow at load and she lacks overlap..she just can't see to go all in from GO! and commit to going forward while going back. She is doing wall sprints and some other Java exercises but those eggs have not hatched yet...we'll see.

Push Back drill—almost like magic!

How is her whip looking? It was hard to tell from the video with the black sleeve, but it looked kinda straight?

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
JJ - my only comment, aside that she looks really good,
is that her follow though after the ball has been released looks, for lack of a better word, "contrived" to me.

Like she's seen tons of slo-mo vid of Pauly, Ueno, etc. with their wrists flopping all over the place on their follow through,
and she is trying to mimic that - purposefully.

or this may be part of a "teach" cue that gets her to do certain things upstream, perhaps?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
She has managed to get just the slightest bend in the arm after lots of work. Still needs more. And she does push backs daily but just can't seem to fully recruit her legs. It's slightly better but not there yet. I told her that lots of girls get to where she is right now and that so far everything has come fairly easy but that the next 10 mph and 10 rps are going to be a struggle and it will be a lot of work for minimal, incremental gains and that physical fitness and strength building are now what will separate her from the pack. That and a very detail oriented approach to her practices. This next year will be a fun one, she stopped her growth spurt and started filling out a little. I'm curious to see how she pitches once she has a little lower COG and more thigh strength.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
is that her follow though after the ball has been released looks, for lack of a better word, "contrived" to me.

Like she's seen tons of slo-mo vid of Pauly, Ueno, etc. with their wrists flopping all over the place on their follow through,

or this may be part of a "teach" cue that gets her to do certain things upstream, perhaps?

The wrist flop isn't contrived, she's done that since day one, I used to think it was a problem actually. The funky slink back wrist point thing came from God knows where. I just tell her to throw the damn ball and the hand will do what the hand will do. I don't care since the ball is gone but aesthetically it could be better. You should see the drop follow through, she does a dunking a donut move that cracks me up. I show her on video how the ball is basically in the catcher's glove when she does this but I guess she just likes doing it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I see what you mean Corlay...I think on this pitch she just caught herself muscling the follow through and relaxed too late or tacked it on to avoid fatherly feedback. I've never seen it that late before...usually it is just a byproduct of brush. she's been muscling through the ball too much lately and I have been telling her to just let it go and the hand will do what it wants.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

The better word is "conveyed" !!! Not liking nothing about contrived :mad:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Here is DD with a little post release hand movement....@ 9yr old :cool:

K.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The wrist flop isn't contrived, she's done that since day one, I used to think it was a problem actually. The funky slink back wrist point thing came from God knows where. I just tell her to throw the damn ball and the hand will do what the hand will do. I don't care since the ball is gone but aesthetically it could be better. You should see the drop follow through, she does a dunking a donut move that cracks me up. I show her on video how the ball is basically in the catcher's glove when she does this but I guess she just likes doing it.

Have her bring her hand up to her shoulder and point at the catcher with her elbow. That should fix things.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Oct 10, 2015
[video]https://youtu.be/Yo76xjqV-z8[/video]

Learn to get your technique down at a younger age.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
[video]https://youtu.be/Yo76xjqV-z8[/video]

Learn to get your technique down at a younger age.

Rise Ball,
I really want one of those balls, but gotta say, the videos you have posted on YouTube are a struggle for me. I consider myself a student of pitching and do my best to give the kids I work with the best information I can. To get that info, I study LOTS of video. I compare various teachings with slow motion video of the worlds best, then try out everything on my own. I chat with anyone who will talk to me about ideas, mechanics, cues, grips feels and even then, find that after 10 years and close to a hundred kids, I still have only scratched the surface. My hope for you is that you look to validate what you teach and constantly strive to evolve and grow. Coach Sue Enquist, when talking about some old instructional VHS videos I'd found at library, mentioned that she wished she could go back in time and change many, many things she'd previously taught. Although she regretted some of it, she also embraced that fact that she will always learn from her past and continues to do so to this day. Hopefully you can look back, (in a time not long from now) grow and post even better videos to help the kids, coaches and parents who see them.

Best wishes and welcome to DFP,
Ken

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1