East Coast Tournament Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2012
So i was just curious if some of the folks on the East Coast could help me, others too, regarding a tournament question.

The team was scheduled to play the Memorial Day Madness in Chambersburg Pennsylvania over the Memorial Day Weekend obviously. Tournament is 8gg. Organization has played in the past, but the coach has decided that she didn't want the families to have to go 'out of town' 2 weekends in a row to play ball. We only have 3 overnight type tournaments in schedule (where ALL players would have to stay out of town) not including Nationals, there are other tournaments where some would have to stay, but others would not due to players being from all over the state.

Now, i guess i have a couple of issues i wanted to ask about.....

1) Anyone have opinions regarding this tournament?
2) Do you, as a parent have an issue with being out of town for tournaments on back to back weekends?
3) Coaches daughter isn't available during this tournament due to a tournament for another sport, should the team be 'penalized'?
4) Do you, if you coach, set your schedule around your kid, if they play on the team?

I mean, it's my understanding that as a "A" team, you go where the competition is. If i had to be out of town every weekend to play good teams, then so be it. That's was how the oraganization told us things would be before we joined and we decided that that would be an okay situation, hence the fact we made the commitment to the team. We as parents should expect to do considerable traveling in order to compete at a high level. Most of the other tournaments we will be playing in will be only a 4-6gg. I think playing in a 3 day tournament, with 8gg will help the girls prepare for Nationals. Essentially they will understand what its going to require of them mentally and physically to play so many games in a short span of time.

I am also frustrated that, without talking to the parents, who have already been booking hotels and scheduling work time off, how it's okay to 'think this is what the parents want', without asking, and i guess we just feel like if the coach would say - "I wanna pull out of the tournament because MY daughter can't be there, so i don't want to coach YOUR kids that weekend", maybe i could accept that. But i just feel like there are so many excuses and thinking what someone else might want, versus, i don't know, ASKING THEM?

What do you think? Take a chill pill and just do what they say and move on next year? Get the parents to let the coach know that they want to go to the tournament so, it gets put back on the coach.... i.e. we don't mind being out of town 2 weekends in a row, so then see if she comes up with another excuse as to why we can't play in that tournament or agrees to continue playing in it? Any opinions/words of advice/suck it ups welcome and appreciated.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Now, i guess i have a couple of issues i wanted to ask about.....

This is a great tournament. Teams from all over compete in it. Our organization over the years has had it's own Memorial Day tourney, so we were never able to enter.

2) Do you, as a parent have an issue with being out of town for tournaments on back to back weekends?
Not if they are good tournaments worth playing in.

3) Coaches daughter isn't available during this tournament due to a tournament for another sport, should the team be 'penalized'?
If the coach has already told you that you should plan to book your trip for this tournament, and then backs out for a non-softball sporting commitment, I don't know how that coach can show their face at another practice and ask for any other player/family for any sort of commitment.

4) Do you, if you coach, set your schedule around your kid, if they play on the team?
One of the perks of volunteering your time as a head coach is that you do get to set the schedule based on your availability. That said, if your coach has already informed the team that Memorial Day weekend was an out of town tournament weekend, they should be committed to the team.

I mean, it's my understanding that as a "A" team, you go where the competition is. If i had to be out of town every weekend to play good teams, then so be it. That's was how the oraganization told us things would be before we joined and we decided that that would be an okay situation, hence the fact we made the commitment to the team. We as parents should expect to do considerable traveling in order to compete at a high level. Most of the other tournaments we will be playing in will be only a 4-6gg. I think playing in a 3 day tournament, with 8gg will help the girls prepare for Nationals. Essentially they will understand what its going to require of them mentally and physically to play so many games in a short span of time.
Yes an No. Playing that many games 3 days in a row can be a grind, especially for younger players. At Nationals you don't play 8 games in 3 days in most circumstances.

I am also frustrated that, without talking to the parents, who have already been booking hotels and scheduling work time off, how it's okay to 'think this is what the parents want', without asking, and i guess we just feel like if the coach would say - "I wanna pull out of the tournament because MY daughter can't be there, so i don't want to coach YOUR kids that weekend", maybe i could accept that. But i just feel like there are so many excuses and thinking what someone else might want, versus, i don't know, ASKING THEM?

What do you think?
Definitely not the right thing to do if you're the coach. At least step up and be honest and transparent about why you pulled the team out. Is there an assistant coach that can take the team on Memorial Day?

As you suggested, this is the kind of behavior that results in players not returning to teams the following year. Are the board members of the organization aware of this?

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD

1. Heard its a good one..
2. No i dont have any issues with it...We are gone from Memorial day weekend to the beginning of August..MOST weekends..not
all but most. I personally look forward to it...and so will your girls as long as you dont overdue. Give them a couple (2-3 weeks off
during the summer)
3. No...If you need to you can usually pick up a player somewhere.
4. ABSOLUTELY!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207