Don't forget the I-D-1O-T report

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
All stars was a very unpleasant experience for my daughter. I've coached allstars in the past and it's always been "play to win" attitude. Manager of team took 6 girls from last place team in our league. Total roster was at 15. It was his team that was the last place team. Then the better caliber players he takes he subs them out and doesn't play them. How can you sit out a girl that has the most over the fence home runs in the league for 12u? My daughter in first 2 game gets triples and RBIs. She has also not struck out since April. Even against superior pitchers in her div. as a manager I've embedded in my kids head that if you hit and produce then you will play . This guy drafted with emotions and played with emotions. Took his niece. Very soft player too

I know some of you guys will not agree with whAt I said and that's fine. Maybe it's just me and maybe my emotions are getting the best of me. My daughter is bummed out a bit too. I'm just letting her know that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows that life is tuff and it will knock you down from time to time. But it's how you get back up is what's going to make you better.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Continue to work on good fundamental mechanics with dd at home or between this guys practices. However make her stay as a life lesson on not quitting, dealing with adversity, and having to be a part of a team she doesn't necessarily like. That's part of life. We cant always pick our coaches or teammates just like we can't pick our bosses or coworkers later in life. She must keep her attitude up and find a way to succeed.

Jun 24, 2013
Ah yes the dreaded all-star coach drama. I too would have questioned taking half the team from the worst team in the league (provided you had more than 4 teams). Why were they the worst team in the league? No pitching? Then I could maybe understand it.

Also. 15 is too many on a roster.

The regular season is about equal playing time, All-stars should be about being competitive.

As the all-star coach (decided before the season began) I visited every team at least twice during the season (not counting the games my team played against them) to see how girls did when they weren't playing my team. I also watched for parent reactions also.

I do not disagree with you. It is frustrating to watch a coach not play the better caliber players.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Ah yes the dreaded all-star coach drama. I too would have questioned taking half the team from the worst team in the league (provided you had more than 4 teams). Why were they the worst team in the league? No pitching? Then I could maybe understand it.

When DD was 9, I formed her first travel team, and 5 of the 12 players came from my own last-place rec team. In fact, we were 0-11-1. Our other three rec teams were in the middle of a larger league that brought together several parks. If we'd played them every game, we probably would've won a couple. But we had no pitching and several beginners in the lower half of the lineup. Of those 12 original players, six still play travel, three of which came from that last-place team. And two from the last-place team are on a path to college softball.

None of this has anything to do with the original post. I just feel the need to explain how I went 0-11-1 with five all-stars and two college prospects. :) Probably won't put that on the resume.

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
I just tried to stay open minded throughout the entire all star season. Hoping it would have gotten better. Never did. Got worse. We're even debating about not even going over the weekend and ditching the games but then thought about how that would reflect on us as parents in the future. Definitely dirtbag move there. Lol

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I've coached allstars in the past and it's always been "play to win" attitude. This guy drafted with emotions and played with emotions.

The regular season is about equal playing time, All-stars should be about being competitive.

I've lost a few ballpark friends because of this. They can't separate friendship from responsibility. They felt that our friendship entitled their daughter to a starting spot, when I made it clear at the beginning that all spots are earned. So when a girl that was originally an alternate earned a starting spot by the end of the all-star season over their daughter, they were upset. What they should have been upset about was their own daughter thought she didn't need to to do anything and made no effort to improve. So while the other 12 girls on the team took major steps forward in their abilities, she stayed the same (maybe even regressed) and lost her starting spot. My responsibility was to put the best 9 on the field, regardless of my friendships. They couldn't handle that separation of roles, and have chosen to not be friends with me and my family any longer. That's their choice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I just tried to stay open minded throughout the entire all star season. Hoping it would have gotten better. Never did. Got worse. We're even debating about not even going over the weekend and ditching the games but then thought about how that would reflect on us as parents in the future. Definitely dirtbag move there. Lol

Are you talking about bailing on an all-star tournament? Like the coach or not, your DD has a commitment to this team and her fellow players. All-stars doesn't last very long. Tough it out, and hope for a better experience next year.

Clearly, a stop at In-N-Out will help you sort this all out.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
Are you talking about bailing on an all-star tournament? Like the coach or not, your DD has a commitment to this team and her fellow players. All-stars doesn't last very long. Tough it out, and hope for a better experience next year.

Clearly, a stop at In-N-Out will help you sort this all out.

Not as a coach but parent. He even had my daughter warming up in bullpen for an inning then told her to be ready. Never put her on mound. Used another girl in cf that was cold. I was ticked off right there too

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not as a coach but parent. He even had my daughter warming up in bullpen for an inning then told her to be ready. Never put her on mound. Used another girl in cf that was cold. I was ticked off right there too

Personally, I would be there to support my DD, and be a place that she can vent her frustrations (after the game, away from her teammates). That's just how I roll, though.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
Personally, I would be there to support my DD, and be a place that she can vent her frustrations (after the game, away from her teammates). That's just how I roll, though.

I just bit my lip and shook my head on the situation. I really don't get vocal when I'm mad. Just watch it all play out. We just told her that things happen for reasons and she will see her hard work payoff in future games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom