DD's Arm Circle....Hopefully it is Better??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Good stuff BM. My bad on the slomo video. I was trying to trim the video and put it in slomo instead. At any rate, I appreciate the time and input. We will get some video this evening and I wont put it in slomo! :).
I never really put the glove swim and the lean to the left together before. That makes total sense now!
Thanks again.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
lizzy7613 - YouTube
lp7613 - YouTube

We practiced a little bit this evening on the full pitch. I think she did pretty good. Seemed like she was still a little "tight" and still not sure of herself with the arm circle. I am guessing because it is something new and it will just take some time to build confidence. Also, she was missing high on a lot of the pitches. Could that be a timing issue due to the longer arm circle? She did say that she could feel the difference in the two arm circles as well as recognize when she does the "old" arm cirle. I am proud of her for not being satisfied and always wanting to do better. The best part of it was when we were practicing today, she pitched one and immediatley said "that was it!!!".....the biggest smile came across her face.....I my opinion, that is what it is all about. As always, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011
Also, she was missing high on a lot of the pitches.

LOL, I just tell me DD she needs taller catchers.

Could that be a timing issue due to the longer arm circle?

From what I saw, yes...sort of. I just got a new computer and don't have all of my software updated on the new system, so I can't offer the nifty breakdown that BoardMember would offer. I'm also using you as a guinea pig to try on my beginner's observation skills, so be cautioned. First of all, the obvious reason would be that she's releasing the ball at about mid-thigh of her left leg. As you know, she should be releasing closer to her right leg. Also, BM will likely bring up needing more arm hook and that her hand/ball is still crossing over the shoulder line (although not at the top), that he displayed earlier in the thread. I would keep working on that and not be too concerned on location. THEN, all the clinical critique aside, just ask that she throw as hard and as low as she can! K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Don't worry about strike zone (within tolerable reason) or hitting the dirt. She seems to be throwing "straight" enough. Let 'er rip and you just might find her arm whip speeding up closer to release. Following that, DO NOT expect her follow-through to look exactly like it does in the videos you posted, unless you want it contrived.

I only offer this advice because my DD is in a similar boat with control issues and when she was given "permission" to miss the strike zone or hit the dirt, as long as she threw hard and low, she showed better control and consistency. It might be that your DD doesn't think she has the power to throw the distance and just lets go late. In any case, she appears to be picking up these adjustments quickly.

Adam

Jul 14, 2008
WOW...........Just WOW..........

4uwi1z.gif

As far as missing high with her new, HUGELY improved circle...........It's just a matter of "new"........

You can't expect to make this big of an adjustment without other things needing to "figure out" their roles in the adjustment........

If she keeps missing high..........Make her throw a few in the dirt in front of the plate until her body adjusts to the new timing..........NO BIG DEAL..........

Tell her I said OUTSTANDING job..............

Oh and that old glove swim???.........We never had to speak about that did we..........;)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
If she keeps missing high..........Make her throw a few in the dirt in front of the plate until her body adjusts to the new timing..........NO BIG DEAL..........

I love this. So often I hear that someone missing high or low needs to adjust their "release point."

"Now Sally, I just want you to move your release point back about 7/8's of an inch to get it in the zone."

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
WOW...........Just WOW..........

As far as missing high with her new, HUGELY improved circle...........It's just a matter of "new"........

You can't expect to make this big of an adjustment without other things needing to "figure out" their roles in the adjustment........

Tell her I said OUTSTANDING job..............

Oh and that old glove swim???.........We never had to speak about that did we..........;)

Thank you so much. She asked me to tell you that she said "thank you for helping me with my arm circle".
We are very appreciative of the time and effort.
The first thing she wanted to do this morning (at 7:00) was to go outside and practice. Ofcourse, I went outside and practiced and I asked her to try to throw one in the dirt and WHAM, pitched one HARD on the inside corner waist high. Another one of those big smiles appeared and I could tell she "got it". Not every pitch was that good but at least now she knows she can do it. Again, I appreciate the help very much!!! I'll post some more vids this evening.....and yes, we didnt even mention the glove swim, it just kinda fixed itself :)!!!

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
5a10ly.gif
oa6gra.gif

My DD has been working really hard to correct her arm circle. She is doing a great job, in my opinion. However, the most desired arm circle (.gif file on the bottom) happens about 3 out of every 10 times. I realize that this is pretty good considering the severity of the old arm circle but what we cannot figure out is why the arm circle in the top .gif file occurs more often. I also realize that muscle memory plays a role in this but I have looked at several videos in slow motion (Ubersense) and it looks like she is doing the exact same thing is each motion but yet a different arm circle occurs. It may be something very obvious but I just cannot figure it out and it is driving me nuts! Any help would be much appreciated. On a side note, velocity and consistency has increased substantially with the improved arm circle!! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves