DD's Arm Circle....Hopefully it is Better??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Here you go guys............See if this helps..........I'll be back later tonight..........

2rh733m.gif
iem80n.gif

Get in the PROPER drill position...........STEP DON'T LEAP/DRAG for this drill.........Just STEP and throw..........ABBREVIATE THE CIRCLE.........I can actually throw harder with this circle..........

Here's one more valuable tip for this drill..........Have her make a circle without throwing the ball........SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE BALL ALL THE WAY AROUND THE CIRCLE by watching the ball...........

If she can't see it.........It's going too far over her head...........

mm8nww.gif

Hope this helps...........

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
ROFL Ken.........Besides........I've NEVER had to talk to any of my pitchers about "swimming".......

I don't really give a crap about what reciprocal action allows my kids to throw in the mid-high 60's.......

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
IMG 0085 - YouTube
IMG 0087 - YouTube

I do believe it went much better this evening. It took her a few times of feeling the difference between the arm circles but once she did it was like a light bulb came on in her head. Im sure it is going to take a while to incorporate into the full pitch but it looks to me that the arm circle is better. Some of the "whip" is gone but hopefully, once she gets some confidence, she will loosen up.
I tried to do a .gif comparison between the video from a couple days ago to todays video but I couldnt figure out how to sync them. Perhaps BM could work some magic......We appreciate the help and advice. Please let us know if we are on the right track. Thanks!!!

Aug 4, 2011
Boomers,

IMO you've got a talented DD. She also appears to be a hard worker. A potent combination!

Are you using "TimeFreeze" or "SloPro" for the iPhone? You may have already figured this out, but the frame interpolation (rendering frames that do not exist between actual frames), for the higher frame rates, doesn't really help for pitching analysis of the arm. Although, SloPro currently states that it no longer supports 60FPS for iOS6, it still does a good job with anything other than "Super Slow" (500 and 1000fps). Just don't use the "render" option.

Adam

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Boomers,

IMO you've got a talented DD. She also appears to be a hard worker. A potent combination!

Are you using "TimeFreeze" or "SloPro" for the iPhone? You may have already figured this out, but the frame interpolation (rendering frames that do not exist between actual frames), for the higher frame rates, doesn't really help for pitching analysis of the arm. Although, SloPro currently states that it no longer supports 60FPS for iOS6, it still does a good job with anything other than "Super Slow" (500 and 1000fps). Just don't use the "render" option.

Adam

Thank you Adam, I appreciate the kind words.
I have always used Ubersense on my phone. I tried the YouTube video editor last night and as you could see it did something goofy to the videos. I am going to try the two you suggested. Thanks for the insight!!

Jul 14, 2008
Adman is right on. If you recall, I asked you NOT to post slo-motion clips.........They are not helpful. Either 30 or 60fps in real time makes this so much easier to use. It literally took me over an HOUR to make this comp because of the frame rate difference.........

When you make a "slo-motion" clip.......The software adds hundreds of "duplicate frames" to simulate slow motion........So instead of one frame of movement after another, it makes 6-8 duplicate frames of that one frame to give the appearance of slo-motion.........

Regardless.........This is an excellent job for this drill..........Watch the elbow/hand/ball as she comes over the top........On the left they have to much rotation around the head to find the correct position..........On the right........It simply flows straight down the backside...........

2re5c0x.gif

Also, because her weight is no longer over her heels, but more toward the toes, there is less swim (KenB)..........

2wmkpxy.gif

IMO you've got her just a little too closed to the target line to start, causing her to step just slightly over the target line. This causes a "block out" of the target line, so the hips have to close back too far through release. Open her drill position up just a little more to start so the step can be more forward then inward, and keep the hips more open through release..........

Also, I'd like to see a little more "hook" in the elbow bend.......

FYI, there are 88 frames in this clip, and that's after I took out almost 100 duplicates...........There are only 36 in the Renfro FULL PITCH clip on page 2...........

2enu4gn.gif

I'd like to see a full pitch with this abbreviated circle..........I think you'll find that it won't be this abbreviated during a full pitch, even though it will feel this abbreviated to her.........

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283