DD Calls It Quits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Coach, I feel your pain.

As someone who has made a huge emotional commitment towards this sport for my two DDs, I see this in my future and dread that day. Yeah, it may feel like the rug has been pulled from under you, but I'm sure you'll be back on two feet soon enough.

That being said, I'd be remiss in my internet duty if I didn't say:

Can I have your stuff?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD is a server at a Hispanic sports bar. She had no interest in college. Years ago, I said that I would rather be taking 12 hours of classes in college than working 40 hours. She said "You aren't me." She loves it and her fellow workers.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This was a big dilemma I had with my DD when she asked me if she could get a job. I absolutely did not want her to get a job.
I repeatedly told her, "Going out in the yard every day and practicing is your job."

I heard stories of most of her friends getting jobs then boyfriends and then quitting all their goals over their jobs and boyfriends and I did not want that to happen to my DD.

I finally did allow a summer job with a lot of restrictions, --like the first time you say you can't practice because....job---being #1.
She agreed.

In the end is was a good decision because she got a job as a waitress at a local restaurant and realized that she really wanted a college education and didn't ever want to do a job like that the rest of her life.

I think having a job as a teenager is a great life experience. My DD quit SB after her freshman year in HS, and DW and I made sure she was not just going to sit around. She worked a couple of 6 hours shifts a week bagging groceries at a large supermarket chain and HATED IT!:D It made her realize this was not something she wanted to do with the rest of her life and refocused her on her education and going to college.

Dec 7, 2011
Sorry, but look, it can't and should not be about the parent...your childhood was had a long time ago.

It seems like every breathing moment for you OILF is about identifying a victim and/or a victimizer. Why is that? Life does not always have an oppressor. Your sensitivity gauge to this is set WAY too low.

Feb 3, 2013
I was basically an asst. I did most of the hitting instruction and would help out as needed with the pc. DD has this misconception of playing for me (Dad) means that her spot is guaranteed. Which is rediculous because I'm harder on her than the others and never hesitated benching her if she was subpar.... The worst part about her was last year while playing A/B tournaments as well as a few showcases with gold teams she had a BA of damn near 700, then got to HS and flipped a switch and barley hit 250... she looked like a beast with my team and an injured mouse with the HS team??? With me she's a leader. Vocal and confident with a very strong presence. Then it's as if shes an entirely different kid at HS with different coaches.

And yet she still wants to play high school softball.

There's a message there if you care to hear it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Could it be that she likes playing for someone else more than you?

If softball were making her relationship with you too complicated, I can see a normal, intelligent girl saying, "I'm not giving up my relationship with Dad for this stupid game."

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
In the end is was a good decision because she got a job as a waitress at a local restaurant and realized that she really wanted a college education and didn't ever want to do a job like that the rest of her life.

Yep, I remember working jobs like that in the summers. IMO it's really not a bad idea to see the kind of work you could get stuck doing if you don't study and get your degree. I know I decided I was definitely going to stay in school!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi