DD Calls It Quits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Coach James,

First of all, I know what you are going through. Yes, this sport is about our DD's, but it becomes such a part of our lives as well. It provides an opportunity to spend time with them, to watch them grow, etc. It truly is a wonderful experience for those involved. Regardless what others say, it is a portion of your lives together that is apparently about to change. Nothing wrong with having feelings about that. If this does become her decision, then hopefully you will be able to find other ways to spend time together and remain close.

As I read through the other posts, there are really two things that come to my mind;

1) Travel ball is a huge commitment. One of my daughter's best friends played on DDs travel ball team for 2 years before quitting. She was just tired of waking up early, being driven to a field for a 7 am warm up, playing several games, and not getting home until 9 pm. And then do that weekend after weekend all summer long. Honestly, I enjoy it, but after typing it I think wtf is wrong with me :) Maybe this is the point your DD has come to. This particular girl has also chosen to play high school ball. It wasn't the sport she was tired of. It was the intense commitment - all summer long.

2) Maybe the whole thing has become overkill. I remember a recent thread showing your hitting cage. Very nice setup by the way. But maybe softball is something that she simply can't get away from. 2 years ago, my DD seemed to be getting tired of softball. What I learned is that it was not the sport, but the fact that she couldn't get away from it. At the time I was a coach, team administrator, treasurer, hitting coach, etc., etc. There was something softball related going on virtually every day year round. She got to the point that she just wanted a break and didn't want softball to be EVERYTHING.... Once I learned that, I made it a point to do all of my other softball related responsibilities when she is out, sleeping, etc. We don't talk about softball very often unless she opens the discussion. Obviously there are times I need to discuss things with her, but she is much more in charge of the process now then 2 years ago. As a result, she seems much happier, and therefore I am much happier.

Sorry for rambling... give it some time. Maybe she will change her mind again. Either way, best of luck to both of you.

Mar 28, 2013
So my older DD is in the 9th grade and in middle school, at the end of the year they have a 9th grade dance which is the their version of the prom. Its the only formal dance of the year and for 9th graders only.Found out Yesterday her Gold exposure team plays a PGF tourney in Hemet Calif. that weekend and she flies out the day before. She looked at me and said she would much rather play in Hemet but the watery eyes told the real story. She is not a senior for quite a few years but every High school player has to sign a form saying they are willing to miss senior prom if they play the state championship. This I think sucks, just sucks. of coarse you play the game but is makes me angry the scheduling geniuses cant plan things better. These players already make big sacrifices so missing certain millstones of growing up makes it hard to stay motivated. Done venting but still Pissed!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
????? Why travel to Hemet in June for a qualifier? Try to get the coach to go to Portland the next week, better location, better weather. Hemet is a cesspool that is an hour away from any sort of civilization and I cant believe they are putting on this big qualifier there.

Mar 28, 2013
I would much rather be in Portland as well, That being said I have to trust the coaches decisions on where the Team Plays. Just bad Timing That's all. Cant wait to tell My DD when I get home. "Its a bummer your gonna miss your first big Dance but at least you get to play in a cesspool in the middle of nowhere". I'm sick that way.

Mar 26, 2013
Is she coming down for the Zoom into June showcase (June 5-7) or the PGF qualifier (June 19-21)? Teams outside Cal rarely come to a SoCal qualifier.

It's easy to criticize using fields in Hemet, but the truth is there aren't many 8-field sites in SoCal. The PGF guys would rather use HB and FV for their showcases.

Mar 28, 2013
Looks like Her team is going to Both. Oh Boy!!

Is she coming down for the Zoom into June showcase (June 5-7) or the PGF qualifier (June 19-21)? Teams outside Cal rarely come to a SoCal qualifier.

It's easy to criticize using fields in Hemet, but the truth is there aren't many 8-field sites in SoCal. The PGF guys would rather use HB and FV for their showcases.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My 16u team has desolved due to 2/3 of my players getting jobs, boyfriends, or whatever...
So, I talked to my DD about several offers to play with other programs. She decided on the closest and smallest program because "I don't want my whole like to be all about softball" she said.

Sooner or later if her HEART is not truly in it, she will not want to play. You can coach throwing, running, hitting and pitching, but you cannot coach heart.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi