Curve Ball... Palm Up or Palm Down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Sorry- Need to see your credentials...couldn't resist...

I see the break and it makes sense from a physics perspective. The ball starts to break once it starts going down. It does not break on the up path at all. That relative wind effectively blowing "up" in relationship to the ball path, will cause a gyro rotating ball to have a magnus effect that will push it towards a left handed batter.

Very good squeeze.........

In otherwords........When the flight of the pitch becomes "terminal"........Meaning that velocity, wind resistance (air flow), spin rate and gravity effecting the pitch reach just the right "terminal" (equal) combination, the ball moves MORE then say when the initial velocity ratio is higher then the spin ratio for an optimum movement equation..........

Don't mean to sound all "sciencey", but that's how I explain it..........

The term "terminal velocity" is used to describe an object that is accelerating (falling for example), and at some point the amount if wind resistance vs. force (gravity in the falling example) equals out........The object then continues to fall at the same rate without further acceleration........

I believe movement pitches reach a "terminal" stage that create OPTIMAL conditions for movement.........

Jul 14, 2008
Board Member, Can you please post a pic of the Grip you would use for this pitch please. I know with grips there are no absolutes and you have to find what works for each individual but I would like to see a starting point.

Thanks For all the info you post here it is a huge help.

PTC

No problem.......When I get time this weekend I'll upload the grip I use for this pitch..........

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Very good squeeze.........

In otherwords........When the flight of the pitch becomes "terminal"........Meaning that velocity, wind resistance (air flow), spin rate and gravity effecting the pitch reach just the right "terminal" (equal) combination, the ball moves MORE then say when the initial velocity ratio is higher then the spin ratio for an optimum movement equation..........

Don't mean to sound all "sciencey", but that's how I explain it..........

The term "terminal velocity" is used to describe an object that is accelerating (falling for example), and at some point the amount if wind resistance vs. force (gravity in the falling example) equals out........The object then continues to fall at the same rate without further acceleration........

I believe movement pitches reach a "terminal" stage that create OPTIMAL conditions for movement.........

Board Member first off, terminal velocity does not apply to your pitch or any pitch because at no time is a pitch ever accelerating. I think you are mixing up your knowledge of pitching with physics. Secondly, the most important aspect of any pitch is the angle that the pitch is thrown. The more an angle in a given direction the more the spin will help make it move and appear to move.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
CFP, can you explain this a little more? Are you talking about the elbow coming up at follow through? DDs PC says the same thing about DD but I don't see it.

His arm is bent away from his body so he is able to make the ball spin, The proper way would be to have your arm coming through the circle next to your side and snap the ball there. To do it his way you have to engage the shoulder more and thus the stress on that area.

Jul 14, 2008
Board Member, your arm is too far from your body on this pitch. You would tear your arm up after a while if you were a pitcher.

Oh Paaaaaalease........Who are you kidding.........I've got red marks on my forearm from brushing the ilic crest of my hip bone.......

I pitched for 15 years without "tearing my arm up"..........Except the occasional red brush marks on my forearm that SHOULD occur.......

Find someone else to critique........I'm pushing 60yo now dude.........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Board Member first off, terminal velocity does not apply to your pitch or any pitch because at no time is a pitch ever accelerating. I think you are mixing up your knowledge of pitching with physics. Secondly, the most important aspect of any pitch is the angle that the pitch is thrown. The more an angle in a given direction the more the spin will help make it move and appear to move.

This is splitting hairs...I have a pretty good background in physics for a non-physicist, minored in it in College and spent 12 years as an engineer....I get what BM was trying to say even though the terminology was not 100% correct. The idea that the conditions of spin, velocity and wind reach a state where the pitch gets optimum break (or any break) still holds. Call it terminal velocity, call it Fred for all I care. the concept still holds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26